Windows 7 Window's 'System Restore' has major bug

Landers

Honorable Member
I have to use 'System Restore' from time to time to restore my computer. The instructions says:

System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.'

This is NOT correct. If I have used my Borland or Lazarus pascal compiler to compile a program on the same day I perform a 'System Restore', afterwards all executables, .bat, a some other files will be missing in a personal folder (latest example: C:\CodeTyphon\Lazarus\ALazarusProjects\AsyncThreads\ missing the above file types). I have found other program executables missing also. The only thing that saved me today was the knowledge that Windows does this. I backed up my program project files before doing the 'System Restore'. Before you do one, you need to back up your personal files. Before the 'System Restore', make a list of all your software executables and then see how many are missing after the restore so that you can replace them. It seems to only delete those files of programs that you have used on the day of the restore. This is really a lousy bug that can completely destroy you day, or even week or month if you don't back up regularly.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry about that. From Microsoft:

System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer.
[h=3]Note
[/h] System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup

System Restore: frequently asked questions

Back
Top Bottom