Windows Update not working, crashing explorer.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Stalker7d7, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Stalker7d7

Stalker7d7 New Member

Yea. It s wierd. Whenever I try to open windows update, wether through start manu, or control panel, it instantly crashes the explorer program..:/

Any ideas?

Very bizarre, I checked it again right after making this post, and it worked. Before though, I tried it numerous times in the control panel, and start menu, and it just kept crashing the explorer. I restarted, for the same result. After which I made this post, after which it worked just fine...:/

2. darco

darco New Member

Same thing is happening to me....its working now....no idear why darco

3. Kylethedarkn

Kylethedarkn Senior Member

Never mind. Do this instead.

#3 Kylethedarkn, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. josemabcn

josemabcn New Member

#4 josemabcn, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. darco

darco New Member

6. bltjpt

bltjpt New Member

I had the same problem and found this fix.

Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisableSessions
    There is a QWord MachineThrottling just rename it to (_MachineThrottling) and this fixed my updating problems. Be sure and don't forget the (_) before the name.

Hope this helps.

7. Ro-jaws

Ro-jaws New Member

Official responce from microsoft :

Solve a problem with Windows 7 beta
    An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Click the Start button [​IMG], click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
    2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. [​IMG] In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.
    3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:
      reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f
    4. Press Enter to install the solution.
    5. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.

#7 Ro-jaws, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. wompasDub

wompasDub New Member

not solved

I have this same damn problem, it is currently wasting my time and really pissing me off. That registry entry you guys put, is nowhere to be found and if I use the command listed above to delete it through cmd it tells me invalid use of regdelete, I am in disabled sessions and the only thing here is default nothing else!