Windows Update problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by Unregistered, Jun 19, 2008.

1. I havent been able to successfully install a Windows update for a year now. When I search for updates, I get the error code: 800700C1. Also, I have been trying to install updates for my Norton Internet Security, and suprise, I havent been able to do that either. WHen I try to uninstall the Norton program, it says there was a problem authenticating your Microsoft Windows Installer. I have tried EVERYTHING on Norton's website to try and fix that problem, but no such luck. Please help.
  2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Aug 28, 2007
  3. I tried the link and that didnt seem to work. I have done the sfc/scannow before, but I am unable to locate the CBS.log in the command prompt. I have tried typing it in different ways, but no success. ANy advice?
  4. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

Feb 8, 2008
  5. eagles10

eagles10 New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I think I might be able to help. I've been having the Windows update problem from start on my desktop (Vista Business) and my laptop (Home Premium). After much digging I realised that this was a dual problem. Partly it is a Vista problem but also it's a problem with the ADSL modem/router.

Bear with me because I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, BUT, both my machines now handle the Windows Updates with no problems.

Here's what I did:

1. Go to DrTCP windows tcp tuning and tweaking - download the program and run the 2000/XP version. The TCP Receive Window will be blank, leave it that way. In the MTU box (bottom right) enter 1400 then save and exit.

2. Reboot the computer and modem/router.

3. Go to ::. Kitz - Vista MTU .:: and follow the instructions there on how to change the default MTU setting from 1500 to 1400.

4. Reboot the computer and modem/router - VERY important!

5. Voila!

This worked for me perfectly on the desktop but on my laptop I still have to disable my firewall (Computer Associates) and re-enable after installing the updates, but at least it works.

Maybe some techie's can fine tune this to make it a lot simpler but I hope it brings you as much joy as it did me!!!!!!!