Windows 7 Windows update Service Pack 1 KB976932 not installing

rpjd

Is there any way I can check what is see what is preventing Service Pack 1 KB 976932 from installing on my laptop? My laptop is running fine, all other updates installed normally. Don't know whether its a related issue or not but when I connect my Samsung Galaxy S to my laptop via USB, I get MTP driver install failure. Any suggestions?

I will assume you are attempting to install SP1 without the phone being connected?

The Control Panel has a Troubleshooter. One of those is for Windows updates, you might try running that. If the driver you mention is causing problems, you may have to remove it in Device Manager to finish the update.

Leaving the phone out of the equation altogether, the problem remains. I have run the troubleshooter in Control Panel, have downloaded and ran the System Readiness tool, deactivated my antivirus, still no joy.

If you open Windows Update and check the update history, you should see the update listed with Failed noted. Select the update and right click and select view details. Maybe you can check for a solution there, or the info might lead you toward a solution.

It also took me several tries to get it to install, I believe because the server was busy. That may not be the case now, but connectivity seems to be relevant.

Last edited:
Well, I don't wanna sound like I'm bragging, but It just installed on my PC w/o any problem.

I'm at loss as to why this update is failing to configure? The error code is 0x800F8026, which means one failed update prevents another from installing. I checked the update history and there are 5 other updates listed as failed. So one by one I tried to re-install, but I found that all were actually installed. So, this is the only important update currently available requiring install.

Do you know the details as to why the first 5 updates would not install?

These are the updates that origially failed
KB2482017, KB2475792, KB2479943, KB2485376, KB2484033, each have the same error code 0x80200001

Contacted Microsoft via the form, will wait for any reply.

Gotta reply yet?

Anyway, the only suggestion I have right now is to do a clean re-install of Windows. Be sure to back up any important files first (music, videos, docs, pics., setup apps, etc.), and manually run Windows Update over and over until ALL updates are installed successfully. Sometimes an autoatic update will fail, but if I manually re-try the update, it will succeed.

Heard nothing back from our friends in MS as yet. While this update not installing is somewhat annoying and the fact the OS is not recognising my Android phone is somewhat pissing me off, my laptop is working perfectly otherwise.

There should be a log in the C:\Windows folder called WindowsUpdate.log You may need to copy it to the Desktop and open there, but it is a large file and may take a few seconds to populate.

If you look for a date around the time of the SP1 install failures you may see other error numbers to explain why the problem is occurring, or some indications of what is going wrong. You can search for "failed", without the quotes, to find problem areas, but it will also find many "failed = 0" entries which do not mean anything.

If you find a section you feel like attaching, do that or send me the file, or just list any other error codes and any comments associated if it varies from the 80200001 error.

You may also look for a svcpack.log in the same directory, but I could not find one on my system.

I found the Windows Update log file. I have attached an extract, if you can make any sense of it!
80200001 is the error codes for other failed update installs, which have since successfully installed. 800F8026 refers to the Service Pack 1 install error.

Attachments

• WinowsUpdate.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 630
Please keep in mind I am not anywhere an expert on this type of stuff.

But it seems like the Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS) is unable to find a job to complete a prior download. The log seems to show that you have 8 downloads waiting to be completed. The 80200001 code seems to be saying Windows cannot find those download jobs. I will assume you have a good internet connection and slow traffic is not the problem.

There is also an error code associated with the SP1 update of 0x800f0826. This might mean several things, like it can't install because a prior update did not install. But there is another possibility discussed in both of the links below. You might check to see if anything rings a bell.

Perhaps some research on removing and reinstalling or installing just specific updates might be required to get Windows update back where it needs to be.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 fails to install with 0x800f0a13 or 0x800f0826 - The Windows Servicing Guy - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

https://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasup...code-0x800f0a13-0x800f0826-or-0x80070003.aspx

Well, I found this site that is talking about BITS and shows how to reset the jobs queue.

If you open an administrative command prompt and type bitsadmin /? it will list all of the possible switches. I tried one on my system, the /list switch to see how many jobs I had waiting, and mine showed 0. You show be able to do this without any danger bitsadmin /list

If you do indeed show 8 jobs waiting, you might reset the queue using the command on the site which is bitsadmin /reset /allusers

If you decide to do that, I would probably give the system some time to evaluate its current status as far as updates. Then allow the prior updates, one at a time, and if all of those work, try the SP1 again. I have not done this procedure, so I cannot verify.

BITSadmin is now deprecated and is not garaunteed to be available in future versions of Windows.
Adminstraative tools for the BITS service are now provided by BITS PowerShell cmdlets.
Does anyone have a grasp on BITS PowerShell. If Saltgrass is correct and I have 8 updates waiting to be completed, what do I need to do?

I'm wondering if a sytem restore would work, but not using the actual system recovery program! Let me explain. I originally bought my laptop with Vista before 7 was launched. I applied to Toshiba to get the Windows 7 upgrade CD's, as Microsoft had deal if you recall, that Vista machines bought within a certain timeframe were elligible for a free 7 upgrade. I took advantage of that deal. I bought them online through the Toshiba website, got the CD's a few weeks later. I backed up everything in terms of files as was the recommendation. I following the install procedure, which took about 3 hours. None of my files/programs were affected by the upgrade if memory serves me. So I'm wondering if the same process would work again, booting from the upgrade CD? Is it worth trying at all?

For anyone who is understands the windows update log I've attached the whole file 12 march to today 31st.

Attachments

• copyWindowsUpdate.txt
    2 MB · Views: 589
Back
Top Bottom