Windows 7 Windows Update

ravna

Woke up this morning to find win Update had downloaded and installed several updates (obviously from Update Tuesday)...shock horror...my computer was back to bog standard...all files gone although all the installed programs were intact but any with settings like Firefox etc were as 'Just Installed'.

Luckily Restore worked for once and back to normal...however, need to know is there a precedence for this type of occurrence and is there a viable way to alleviate in the future?

From personal experience, I've known this to happen from time to time and others have reported the same thing as well. That every now and then a MS update gets through and corrupts one's system. Is this a fluke, a bug, a glitch...who knows...it just happens. As to take action so the problem doesn't occur again in the future is not really likely if at all possible. Which is why backups are always recommended.

You can isolate which update it was that caused this by doing a backup or system restore point. Then go to MS updates and manually go through the updates one by one until the error occurs. Install one; one at a time...it's tedious but you'll end up finding the culprit. Then once you know which update exactly, and what it's referenced to...generally and update of that software or driver will fix the issue and then the MS update will go through.

Seems like I remember some Office updates causing problems. I also noticed some Windows Live problems last year. May depend on what version you are running.

Go here:Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings - and change the settings to let them download but not install. Then you can install them one by one and restore (or uninstall the update) if you smell trouble. Remember the KB number and next time it shows up, right click on it and 'hide' the update.

Back
Top Bottom