Windows 7 Windows Upgrade from Visto to 7.

kitchenda

This is for my wife's laptop. We bought it with Vista installed and the option of a free upgrade from Dell to Windows 7. I followed both supplied disks including removing the McAfee Anti-Virus, Itunes, Google Toolbar and proceeded with the upgrade. This ran for about 2 hours at the end of which it indicated the install coudl not contiue and it set everything back but there was nto other inidcation other than the message statign that the upgrade could not contirue. Everything prior to this indicated that this computer was compatible with this upgrade without any issue so I am bewildered by what happened. This never asked me for the product key at any time even though it had indicated that it had already loaded windows 7 on the hard disk. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Are the discs supplied by Microsoft or Dell? If they're from MS, you should have an x86 and an x64 disc each. You did get a Product Key right? Because it's good for either version.

Many people are having problems with doing a upgrade. It's much better to do a clean install. But you need MS Windows 7 install discs to do that.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

i'm having the same problem upgrading using a win 7 ultimate upgrade disc. it goes through the whole installation and then blue screens before it can finalize anything at the "transfering your files" part. after that it reverts back to vista

This is an upgrade from Dell and yes I have the product key but I am not sure I can do a clean install.

This is for my wife's laptop. We bought it with Vista installed and the option of a free upgrade from Dell to Windows 7. I followed both supplied disks including removing the McAfee Anti-Virus, Itunes, Google Toolbar and proceeded with the upgrade. This ran for about 2 hours at the end of which it indicated the install coudl not contiue and it set everything back but there was nto other inidcation other than the message statign that the upgrade could not contirue. Everything prior to this indicated that this computer was compatible with this upgrade without any issue so I am bewildered by what happened. This never asked me for the product key at any time even though it had indicated that it had already loaded windows 7 on the hard disk. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Back