Windows 7 Windows Versions

BlueNeon37

Why we have so many versions?
Vista has Enterprise, Business, Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate.
5 versions x 32bit and 64bit.
This just makes people get confused. Why cant Microsoft release one version, or on the worst case 2 (Enterprise and Home) and then add Media Center, Remote Desktop, etc as an addon or bundle software?

Because people don't want to have to go back to the store to get what they need. They made so many versions to cater to all the different groups (Even though most any tech savvy user would acquire Ultimate anyways). Pro and Home were too variant, there was no real "Business" edition, and people want very different things.

I agree however, that there are too many. We could do with just Home, Business, Ultimate, and Starter (Which you forgot, btw). I imagine that there is no real need for starter or Home to be 64 bit, so that would cut down as well. That would be best case scenario.

But god know, MS doesn't listen to us. They just care about money, and flashy effects, and turn their noses when we complain about bloat and stupid requirements.

Well, if MS want's money, they have to listen to us, or we won't give them money. Though I would say, they should have 2 or 3 editions: Windows Vista Home, Windows Vista Buisness, and Windows Vista Ultimate. Nobody cares about Windows Vista home basic, so drop that. And only make them in 64bit versions.

Well, the price difference between HB and HP is like $10, so it's not really worth it for HB. Though I think you may be thinking of Vista Starter, which isn't for sale in the US.

Yea, it's all about money, and don't see how having so many versions helps the average user.

Because all versions are not for every user...
Vista home basic is mostly for house usages excluded for games,
Vista home premium is the gaming version,
Business and enterprise are for businessmen
And ultimate is the version that ''has everything''!

Microsoft is currently planning something like this for Windows 7. There planning 2 versions. But with Component Removal. Like with vLite.
And I actually like there being more choices...

Microsoft is currently planning something like this for Windows 7. There planning 2 versions. But with Component Removal. Like with vLite.
And I actually like there being more choices...

As long as Windows always has a pro version with everything included I will always be happy. The more they drift towards a OSX operating system style the less I will like Windows.

Back