Windows 7 Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 64-bit

SammiCurrX

On normal Windows XP 32-bit, most 16-bit programs run fine. This is because of Windows on Windows executable (wowexec.exe). However on 64 bit machines, Windows on Windows (WoW64.exe) only supports 32-bit virtualization, not 16-bit.

Using the new XP Mode alongside with Windows Virtual PC, can you emulate Windows XP 32-bit on a Windows 7 64-bit machine? If so, can you really run 16-bit programs on your 32-bit virtualization of Windows XP?

If anyone can test this and let me know the findings, I would be greatly in your debt.

-Sammi

If you have the betas for Windows 7 64-bit, Windows XP mode and Windows Virtual PC... try to install and run this game.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Its elite force, it uses 16-bit code. If you like quake, its basically the same thing. If you have a moment and already have all that stuff installed, just try to install this on a windows Xp 32-bit virtual environment and see if you can create a local holomatch with bots.

So, you are confirming that 16-bit applications work fine using this method.

Have you personally tested this?

I have tested it and can confirm it works - I have an accounts package which refused to run (or even install) on either Win XP x64, Vista x64 or Win7 x64 and I tried running in compatibility mode as far back as Win95. Installed the Virtual XP machine on Win7 x64, installed the accounts package and it can open up all my previous accounts.

Same thing with an old scanner (Epson Perfection 1660 Photo) which had no drivers which would work under any of the x64 OS's, but installed fine with Epson's old XP drivers.

Are you sure it was a 16-bit program? Is there any way you can give me a screenshot? Maybe of the wowexec running on the taskmanager in the 32-bit virtualized environment on your windows 7 machine?

I just want to see it in action!

Also, can you run graphically intensive applications in a virtualized enviornment? Like Elite Force (Quake 3 Engine)?

Not of my accounts package - that is between me and the Inland Revenue :p

Just download it from Microsoft's web site and try it - you are obviously distrustful of anything anybody tells you. That way you can be sure. Costs nothing, takes a few minutes to install and get running.

Are you sure it was a 16-bit program? Is there any way you can give me a screenshot? Maybe of the wowexec running on the taskmanager in the 32-bit virtualized environment on your windows 7 machine?

I just want to see it in action!

Also, can you run graphically intensive applications in a virtualized enviornment? Like Elite Force (Quake 3 Engine)?

I second what Carol S says. Do your own testing. We aren't going to do it for you for free.

It is a time consuming, labor intensive act that you are expecting someone else to do it all for you.
It's not going to happen.

Last edited:
I don't have a space to install windows 7 myself...

I am assuming that some of you do indeed beta test Windows 7 64-bit as well as the XP mode beta and Windows Virtual PC beta. If you are one of these people that already have this set up going on, then yes, it would be nice to see proof of a 16-bit app working.

Nonetheless, it seems that it does work by some of the posters accounts, as well as google research.

Back