Windows Vista Windows Vista Done-For

So i have tried numerous steps but my vista is buggered. I can't use defragment.

It starts but then never finishes. It will change my hard drive space lots. Like first its 48gb. Then a hour later its 52gb then half a hour its 51gb.

I even tried Tune-Up Utilities 2009. That will take for ever to work. Like 5 hours!

Why??? Cause when i checked it only had 7 percent fragmentation. Surely it won't take over 3 hours to defrag that!

And system restore does nothing as i done it lots of times but same result. But i don't want to factory reset since the tune-up utilities code is the last one out of 3 and i don't want to buy a whole new liecence cause my computer went stupid.

Why is it taking this long!!!!

Mine dose it in about 4-5 hours at just under a thousand gigs of space. The virus scan is worse. It takes about 13 hours to do that. I miss only having a 230gig drive. That would do the add check, virus scan, defrag and everything in about an hour.

Try running chkdsk. If that refuses to work too then you may be looking at a buggered HD

First thing I would do is run Manufacturers Hard Drive diags. If it's bad, replace it.

I have had this problem before, that Windows Defrag just won't run, or finish defragging.

Yes, run chkdsk, if it fails to finish or give you error, then you probably need to nuke and reload.

but also, I have used Auslogics Defrag in the past, (but have recently converted to Defraggler) and run that once, it should finish, if it has problems, nuke and reload.
But, if it finishes, then run Windows Defrag again and it should finish, but you need to let it finish. It might take a while. Let it go. If it fails again, nuke and reload, something is hosed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom