Windows Vista Windows Vista service pack 2

According to this page here:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

invites are already going out for the SP2 beta which could see a limited release in 4 weeks..

More info and screenshot on the service pack:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Download for the 'Pre beta version of service pack 2 for vista'...
I've copied this from VR Zone website:

All you need to get your hands on this pre-beta are the right registry keys. The batch file on the gHacks site carries out the changes necessary to see the pre-beta.

Time for some warnings:

This download of SP2 is a pre-beta, which means all sorts of nasty things could go wrong.
If you install this on your main system or any system you rely on, you are an idiot!
If you don’t have time in your life for things going wrong, don’t do this!
Don’t expect to see anything exciting …

Download here : Link Removed due to 404 Error

Just click on the batch file that you've downloaded and it inserts the correct registry keys to allow the update utility to download the service pack. I needed to run the updater a few times before it found the required downloads and the service pack is 296MB in size although this size may change.

Ok, I've just installed it and so far, apart from an update to windows mail, any changes are not obvious. Here's a couple of screenshots for the record... I'm now gonna have a good look around and see, if possible, what has changed.

Another link for the download in case the one above fails to work:

Link Removed - Not Found

Installing the beta will also place a watermark on your desktop saying 'Evaluation copy'.. (like the first beta SP1) I'm currently finding a why to remove it...:)

Ok, to remove the watermark go here:
Link Removed - Not Found
and follow the instructions. You'll obviously notice it's actually to remove the SP1 watermark but it still works for the SP2 watermark... :)
Vista does seem a little more 'zippier' but that could just be me, anyway time will tell..

As far as I am aware, following the comments on Microsft's own pages until now, if you have been installing all the Vista updates, then you will not find anything in SP2 that will blow your head off.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Here is an interesting but limited early benchmark test:

Last edited:
I'm not sure the link I posted is working any more.. I reformatted to install the service pack correctly and WU will not find it again. Perhaps ms have closed the hole?
Anyhow, a little more on what it actually contains:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

It's still available... I'm downloading it again now but it took like a week between applying the batch file and getting the download. So why not just apply the patch/batch file and wait..

Actually it's a different version.. Check out the numbers on the screenshot in this post and check the version in the screenshot posted last week. This version is 113 whilst last weeks was 105.. As before no major changes detected but will keep you posted...:)

Perhaps, but don't forget it took a week for mine to re-appear.. I'd actually forgotten about it until the update utility called my attention so don't despair.. :)

Back