Windows was unable to create a new system partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by Lee Neufeld, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Lee Neufeld

Lee Neufeld New Member

I'm doing a fresh install on windows 7, instead of a disk it's on a thumb drive
    I have a 500 GB Partition I want to install windows to

I went through setup and formatted the disk when I try to continue with the installation and get this error.

"Windows was unable to setup a new system partition or find an existing one. See installation log"

#1 Lee Neufeld, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Have you tried just adding the partition you want to put the OS on and not pre-formatting it?

Can you describe how you are setting the drive up?

If you happen to be using a UEFI install, it requires a system partition. The Legacy (MBR) will just make the OS partition the system partition.

4. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

It could also be an issue with BIOS. Be sure to have the settings correct = thumb drive is bootable. Further, you need to have your system disk properly formatted. I had a heck of a fight when installing Windows 7 because it wouldn't recognize partitions > I had to jump to another partition program to get it work.

Supposedly, Windows formats a disk. Well yeah... supposedly. By experience, and there's not so very much of that in my case, I would recommend to format the system disk with gParted, GParted -- About and then push Windows in. And even in that case, with a formatted disk, you may have to have Windows re-format it.

It's the ballgame. :cool:

#4 Pauli, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012