windows xp mode question

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by marty, Dec 31, 2009.

1. marty

marty New Member

Hi
    what are the chance that microsoft will make a download of windows xp mode for windows 7 home premium 32/64 bit down the road?

thank you

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Probably not many--are you running something you need XP for? Some programs can work if you use compatibility mode, and there is always the dual boot option...

3. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

If you're got XP software there is free Virtual PC software available. VMware Player is now free, Virtualbox (a pain to network and share) and MS I believe has a free one. VMware Player now lets you create a VM.
    Joe

4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

Drew
    I tried XP Mode when it was RC and found it pretty lame compared to my VMware Workstations.
    The big draw with XP Mode is it provides the XP. Right now I just finished installing VM Player and am loading Windows 7 Home Premium on it. This is on my old Dell Dimensions 8200. I tried in Virtualbox last night and forgot how lame the sharing with that is. I'm curious if everything would work. The wiundows Upgrade Adviser leaves a lot up in the air! Dell's site is useless for a pc that old.
    Joe