Windows 7 Windows XP Peer to Peer workgroup and Windows 7 Home Premium

computerlady143

I have a Windows XP desktop - wired to my Motorola router/modem from AT$T for a while. I been able to run a Vista Desktop and a Windows 7 Premium Home with no problem. I got the A V Guardonline spam ware. I was able to clean it up using Combo Fix and Malware Byte. After Combo Fix - at first I didn't an Internet connection. I had to go off. When I came back decided to check the Internet before I deleted the network driver. However, it turns out the Internet fine and I can still see and access my Vista computer on the network. However now the Windows XP Peer to Peer network doesn't see my Windows 7 laptop. The laptop and see the network and connect. However it can only see the vista desktop and not the Windows XP and even though it connects no Internet access. In network and sharing it shows unidentified network public. I think this should be set to HOME. How can I do this? I have Windows 7 Premium so I can't use secpol.msc. What to do? I have turned off all feature or services with the Home Group. My IP address is 169.254.141.68. I know that means I not getting a valid IP address. Also when I on Windows 7 laptop in network and sharing - I connect to my network - it sees it but then says it can't connect but when I check it is connected. It sending and receiving bytes but it can't ping or see the router.

Last edited:
My IP address is 169.254.141.68. I know that means I not getting a valid IP address
The fact that you are getting an APIPA IP address, means that for some reason your network adapter is unable to communicate properly with whatever is serving up DHCP for your network (probably your router).
This is likely caused by a driver issue related to your specific network adapter it is either sub-optimal, outdated, or corrupted. You need to determine the Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number and Rev. Number (if applicable) and acquire the most recent driver from the manufacturer's website. If you provide that information here we might be able to help.
Additionally, third party software (Firewalls and or Internet Security Suites) can cause problems similar to yours and you may want to consider removing any such product and replacing same with Link Removed due to 404 Error and the builtin Windows firewall. Make sure you use the vendor specific proprietary removal tool to followup the uninstall, look here or google.
Finally if you feel capable of doing so you can manually assign static values for the IPv4 addressing scheme specific for your network. YOu can use a second machine that is actually working as a template for the proper schema, the only thing that needs to be absolutely unique and cannot exist on any other network node is the IP address, everything else should be the same.
Regards
Randy

I downloaded the new driver - it was a realtek rtl8168c(p)/8111c (p) Pci-e Gigabit Ethernet but that didn't help. Here is my current status with my problem. It is somewhat resolved for now. But I need a permanent solution or ...?

I have a static IP address for The windows XP Desktop which consider my "server" and the DSL modem/Router is attached by cable. The IP address for the Windows XP computer is 74.165.240.77. The gate way is 74.165.240.73 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.248. The Windows 7 IP address is 169.254.141.68. and there is no default gateway. Subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. No Windows does not have Internet connectivity. And since I updated the driver on my Windows XP the Windows 7 laptop doesn't see any computer on the network. Does this help? I just put in the static IP Address which I had tried before but now I can see all computers on the network. I put the settings in the TC/IP IPV4. Now I have All computers can see each other however The windows 7 laptop still has not Internet access and it IP address now is 74.165.240.74 and it can see the gateway. I can ping the gateway 74.165.240.73. Now it says my network name Alpha and Home Network but Access type says Not Internet Access. I got it fixed. I added the gate way to the DNS setting in the TC/IP IPV4 in the preferred dns server. That works but correct if I wrong when I connect to another wireless outside of my network - I will have to change the TCP/IP settings to obtain automatically. So, I guess this is a temp fix but I still need to fix the actual problem?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but it seems like you have purchased a business class dsl connection from ATT and you are trying to use the five (or however many) publicly addressable IP addresses that came with that purchase and you have discovered that the only way to get that to work with your present network configuration is to manually assign those static values to the various network nodes.
Since ATT provides any number of various appliances to their customers I can not say exactly how to properly setup the network but if you provide the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and Rev. Number or the appliance we may be able to help further. Without knowing this information we cannot know if it is capable of DHCP, however a support call to ATT might help you provision the device properly. Additionally it would be nice to know if you have any additional appliances, switches, hubs, and or routers included in your present configuration.
Ideally, I would suggest picking up a second router that fits your needs (wired or wireless or combo) add your username and password (if required ATT PPPoE) to the WAN side of this router and connect your ATT appliance to the WAN port of this router and connect your actual computers to the LAN side of this router and return your computer to AUTO for DHCP information.
EDIT: And yes, you will need to reconfigure the static addressing to auto if you take you computer elsewhere and expect it to connect to another network.

Last edited:
You are right I have a commercial account with AT&T but I have this all working using the options to auto obtain IP address. My problem didn't start until the computer that shares the router connection got AV Guardonline - Spamware - I had to use Combo Fix and Malwarebytes to get rid of it since then my Windows 7 can't connect until I put the address in the TCP/IP. Yes I have 2 desktops, one laptop, a Wii and not I just bought an XBox which I haven't set up yet.

OK, given that information, could you please check to make sure that you have the DHCP client service as well as the DNS Client service running and set to start automatically in the services console.
Just click the start orb and type
services.msc
into the search box and hit enter
scroll as needed to find the two services mentioned above, double click and set startup type to automatic and click the start button, return the IPv4 settings to auto and see if the function resumes working.
I don't have a lot of information regarding AV Guard On Line, but it just looks like a standard piece of scareware to me and I'm not sure if it, or some of the steps you may have taken to get rid of it may have impacted some of the Windows services but it's worth taking a look.

Back