Windows 7 Windows7 has problems with Office 2007

pavan643

Whenever I open an excel or word which was created by earlier versions, excel and word applications hang. Even if i close the application, it wont get closed. Shut down also doesnt work. I need to do a manual hardboot.

Any idea how this can be resolved?

Whenever I open an excel or word which was created by earlier versions, excel and word applications hang. Even if i close the application, it wont get closed. Shut down also doesnt work. I need to do a manual hardboot.

Any idea how this can be resolved?
Work fine for me.....

Are you by any chance using Norton 360 Beta? You might want to disable it to see if that fixes your problem. Norton's default settings raise havoc with older Office documents with embedded macros (well...at least for me).

PowerPoint 2007 is also not working correctly.
No slide transitions - mostly a problem for higher end users who use PowerPoint in front of audiences.
Still a Windows 7 only problem. I quite honestly am a little dismayed an Office 2007 Apllication doesn't work.
Of course, it could be the video driver - but the custon animation is so very smooth and better than either Win XP or Win Vista.
I'm sure this will be fixed soon, but still a little amused that Microsoft hiccups on its flagship Office. Seems to be where the testing would have started!

Are you by any chance using Norton 360 Beta? You might want to disable it to see if that fixes your problem. Norton's default settings raise havoc with older Office documents with embedded macros (well...at least for me).

I have to agree with this.. many Norton apps seems to be causing havoc on Windows 7... Personally I hate all Symantec apps as I've NEVER had a good experience with ANY of them.. but they definitely seem to be causing alot of problems in Windows 7 so far..... I would also suggest disabling any Norton apps you have installed and see if that solves the problem.. if it does you may want to think about using an alternative Internet Security app.. at least for now..;)

I agree with radenight. Since Vista, Norton has been giving trouble spasmodically. It seems to be related to certain computers/hardware, but is too frequent to be ignored. Everyone is out to slam Microsoft, but large companies such as Norton should come clean and warn usrs of possible difficulties - as should several other software producers. They have had ample time to get their acts in order!

I reckon a significant number of posts for help, on pages such as this, would vanish overnight if users uninstalled Norton. ARE YOU READING THIS, ANYONE FROM NORTON

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHA Davehc they read it but dont care what you think. There decision is what they belive in and not what u believe in. I have office 2007 ultimate installed and have gone through each program trying different features during the beta testing. Everytrhing including the slide transition in powerpoint work to perfection. I am sorry to say it must be an issue with something else you have installed like and antivirus or firewall software. Uninstall the antivirus and firewall and install the avg free edition and just use the windows firewall.

Iroken. I suggest you read my post again. I have no issues with Office 2007. ( Nor with anything else)

I have office 2007 ultimate installed and have gone through each program trying different features during the beta testing. Everytrhing including the slide transition in powerpoint work to perfection. I am sorry to say it must be an issue with something else you have installed like and antivirus or firewall software. Uninstall the antivirus and firewall and install the avg free edition and just use the windows firewall.
Using the free AVG, and Slide Transition in PowerPoint 2007 does not work on 6 test machines.
Yes it could be lots of different reasons, but on that many diferent machines with mostly different hardware - well?
The Nvidia beta driver, loaded for Windows 7, is the only common variable on my machines. I'm guessing that is where the problem lies.
On the other hand, the Projector Applet, Windows Button + P, is completely a winner. Far improved from any previous Windows platform - like most other Windows 7 features.
As a professional speaker - the PowerPoint issues is a killer. I really don't want to downgrade back to XP on my Dell XPS laptop (GeForce 7950 GTX). Windows 7 beta is still so compelling that I love everything else about it. Microsoft will find overwhelming succcess with this OS.

HAHA Davehc they read it but dont care what you think. There decision is what they belive in and not what u believe in. I have office 2007 ultimate installed and have gone through each program trying different features during the beta testing. Everytrhing including the slide transition in powerpoint work to perfection. I am sorry to say it must be an issue with something else you have installed like and antivirus or firewall software. Uninstall the antivirus and firewall and install the avg free edition and just use the windows firewall.

I actually haven't touched Windows Firewall or Windows Defender, they both run just as they were set to run by default.. and I've had no problems with AVG or Office 07... weird.. ;)

maybe

the problems lie on this "fluent" interface that was implemented with office 12. Excel, word, powerpoint and a portion of outlook udse it. This may butress your thoughts about it beuing the Nvidia driver. Just a thought

i need to learn how to type!:(

Last edited:
I have the same problem, particularly with Excel 2007. I have a password protected document that opens well when I'm in Windows 7. But when I revert back to my Vista partition it tells me the same document "is corrupt and cannot be opened" even though I type in my password correctly. So I go back to Win 7 and there again, the document opens without any hitch. I don't know what's going on either.

the problems lie on this "fluent" interface that was implemented with office 12. Excel, word, powerpoint and a portion of outlook udse it. This may butress your thoughts about it beuing the Nvidia driver. Just a thought

i need to learn how to type!:(
I guess you are referring to the ribbon! Fluent=ribbon
Well, the ribbon (Office 2007) is also in both OS Win XP and Win Vista - but PowerPoint works far differently than in Win7.

With only Win7, none of the Slide Transitions in PowerPoint work - and that is Office 2007- and only in Win7. Everything else is the same.
I am so used to fixing the video driver = fixing most problems - that I just guessed the problem would lie with Nvidia.

Others here on the forum are listing Win7 problems in Excel too.
Microsoft must know this. Maybe SP2 (beta) for Office 2007 is in order?:D

UPDATE**
The problem with PowerPoint Slide Transition is solved. Installed the Nvidia Vista 64 bit Driver, now everything functions normally.
Apparently, the Win7 beta driver was the issue.

Last edited:
Back