Windows 7 Winhlp32

hansonc8

Hi all,

This is my 1st post on here. Getting a little infuriated that i cannot get to my .hlp files for my programming environment as windows 7 does not include winhlp32, and it is currently unavailable to download for windows 7..... ARRGGHH. Niether the server 2008 x64 or the vista x64 versions will install.... I can't keep switching on my laptop to get at the help files..

Any ideas?

Regards

Craig Hanson

Hi all,

This is my 1st post on here. Getting a little infuriated that i cannot get to my .hlp files for my programming environment as windows 7 does not include winhlp32, and it is currently unavailable to download for windows 7..... ARRGGHH. Niether the server 2008 x64 or the vista x64 versions will install.... I can't keep switching on my laptop to get at the help files..

What's your "environment"? I've installed VS.NET TS 2008 without problem and the help is working just fine.

Winhelp32.exe is installed on Windows 7 although is wasn't on Vista.

If a box opens and says it cannot locate it, browse to the C:\windows directory and choose winhlp32.exe.

win32hlp

hi cmillens,
What's your \"environment\"? I've installed VS.NET TS 2008 without problem and the help is working just fine.
The Programming environment is Progress 9.1e, I realise if i update to Progress 10.1e the help files have been updated and work perfectly, however 9.1's help files are still in the none HTML format. Most of my clients are running code which is/has been compiled on 9.1e and they are currently not looking to update.

Winhelp32.exe is installed on Windows 7 although is wasn't on Vista.

If a box opens and says it cannot locate it, browse to the C:\windows directory and choose winhlp32.exe.
reghakr with regards to running/selecting winhlp32 as soon as i open the help within the environment i get:-
(also when i run winhlp32.exe on its own)

Why can't I get Help from this program?

[This content is preliminary and subject to change.]
The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that is not included in this version of Windows. However, you can download a program that will allow you view Help created in the Windows Help format.
For more information, go to Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) is no longer included with Windows on the Microsoft support website.

It does not give me an option to open the .hlp with the old winhlp32?

HELP!

Thanks for the quick reply

Craig,

Locate one of the .hlp files on your computer. Is it blue in color with a question mark? double-click on that and post back with any error message.

I realize running winhl32.exe directly brings up that dialog. However, its a left-over from Windows Vista.

I have no clue what Progress 9.1e is, but most newer programs use the .chm format for their help files which are opened by hh.exe in the C:\windows directory

Still not working........

Craig,

Locate one of the .hlp files on your computer. Is it blue in color with a question mark? double-click on that and post back with any error message.

I realize running winhl32.exe directly brings up that dialog. However, its a left-over from Windows Vista.

I have no clue what Progress 9.1e is, but most newer programs use the .chm format for their help files which are opened by hh.exe in the C:\windows directory

All the .hlp files have the blue question mark icon, however the when i run them i get the previous quoted error message...........?

as soon as i open the help within the environment i get:-

I didn't see any reference to the exact error message you're receiving.

Did you choose a help file other than the ones included in your programming environment?

Try going to the C:\windows directory, drag winhlp32.exe to the desktop and choose Create shortcut here.

Now locate a .hlp file (not in your programming environment) and copy that .hlp file to your desktop.

Now drag that .hlp file over the winhlp32.exe shortcut and choose Open With.

Now hat is the exact error message you receive?

Hi Reghakr, Thanks again for the quick reply. I have done exactly as you mentioned and i still recieve the same message .... Why can't i get help from this program?.......etc I have tried this with the help files with from VB6 and i have the same issue......

Regards Craig

Craig,

Go to the C:\windows directory, right-click on the Winhlp32.exe file and choose the Details tab.

Is the version 50.0.6000.16387?

Now click on the Security tab and make sure your user account has Read, and Read and Execute.

What I did was copy the Winhlp32.exe that is the Vista C:\windows folder and winhlp32.exe.mui in the Vista C:\Windows\en-US folder and replace the dummy ones in the same Windows 7 folders. Works fine in Windows 7.

Excellent thinking pbcopter,

That's how I got Windows Mail (almost up and running) on Windows 7

You now gave me an idea how I might be able to get it running for sure.

Hope it works for Craig

Hey RegHakr,

The version is 6.1.7000.0..........

Pbcopter.... Do you mean copy the winhlp32.exe from my vista installation?

I have copied the windows vista version which is version 50.0.6000.16387 to the desktop, when i do this and try to open a .hlp i simply get and error................. (9001)................ no other message or any other error.

:)

Craig

Just as addition to the above i have checked the security settings of the version i copied from vista........ (ie the one you mention reghakr) and i have full privileges and even ran it as Admin

Copy the winhlp32.exe and winhlp32.exe.mui from Vista and put the winhlp32.exe in the Windows folder of Windows 7 and the winhlp32.exe.mui in the Windows\en-us folder. You will have to rename the ones that are there already or delete them.

Sorry Craig,

I was looking at the version in Windows Vista.

On Windows 7 the version is the same as yours.....6.1.7000.0

OK. I just tried something myself and got the same error. I'm now in the same situation you are.

I read on a website to hit SHIFT and right-click at the same time to bring up the Open with... context menu. I choose winhlp32.exe and now my .hlp files no longer work either.

I wish I had my tracking program running as it probably changed something in the registry.

I'll have to dig into it and figure it out.

OK,

I've been searching the web and comparing results by using a process monitoring utility.

I've come to the conclusion the old .hlp files will not work with Windows 7. there is a file named Helpane.exe in the C:\windows directory and every time you execute a help file or run winhlp32.exe, the HelpPane.exe is the file that displays the message "Why Can't I get help from this program.

The HelpPane.exe file does not exist in Vista.

And from what I've heard the download winhlp32.exe for Vista does not work on Windows 7.

It's just a beta, so i guess that's the reason why.

The only thing I was able to do is the following:

Navigate to the c:\windows directory and double-click on winhelp.exe

Now browse to the directory where your old .hlp file is and select it.

The problem is that it only works on very old help files so I doubt this will be of any use to you.

Actually, it only worked for one .hlp file on my whole machine.

I can only tell you that it works fine for me.

I decided to give it a try also and it DOES work.

I had to use Unlocker to remove the winhlp32.exe in the C:\Windows directory in Windows 7

When I right-clicked on a .hlp file I got the same message, so i right-clicked on a .hlp file and chose open with... and choose Windows Winhlp32 Stub and it created the association and now works fine. I delete the winhlp32.mui in the C:\windows\en-us folder and re-placed it with the Vista version.

You can download Unlocker here:
|MG| Unlocker 1.8.7

Back