Windows 8 wink32.sys BSOD

ninjatron

Greetings,
For the past ~2 weeks I have had a slightly annoying reoccurring BSOD, focused around the wink32.sys driver. It only happens once every few days. At first, I attributed it to my new GPU and SSD, but I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 and the problems persisted. I suspect it is in relation to the new Nvidia 332.21 drivers, as the problems arose with the installation of these, yet I would like to know for sure. I have also ran Memtest86+ and made 7 passes in about 9 hours. I also updated my BIOS to the latest version.

The crashes usually occur in the most convenient times: after I have been gaming for a few hours, after a long music making session, or after watching a movie and I am closing / minimizing a window, Alt+Tabbing, or powering down the system. I should note that while this particular BSOD was a Drvier Page Fault error, I have had other stop codes (0x5b if I recall correctly). It really seems like this driver is all over the place.

I have uploaded the .zip with all of my computer information, as well as a copied WinDbg text file and MiniDump file.

Attachments

• W7F_29-01-2014.zip
    214.5 KB · Views: 921
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D5, {fffff900c48fad58, 1, fffff9600031c44e, 0}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!MulDeleteDeviceOrRedirectionBitmap+2a )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
win32.sys can appear due to new hardware or software and removing the recently added possible causes might help. Have you tried going back to what you were running before and seeing if the bsod stops?
If it does then you know something is amiss with the new stuff. .

Is the SSD fully updated firmware wise? Check either with the included application or their website:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/uk/html/about/SSD840EVO.html

Your also missing a service pack:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Service pack readiness tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20858

RTKVHD64.sys Wed Jul 28 11:01:36 2010: Realtek sound driver:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Thank you so much for your help kemical. I haven't tried rolling back the Nvidia drivers, I will do that tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't think of upgrading the firmware of my SSD before I reinstalled windows. Perhaps if I try a few new graphics drivers and that doesn't work, I will upgrade the SSD firmware and reinstall windows with the service packs all in one go.

Do you think it is possible that there is a hardware error with my GPU? Wouldn't there be other more telltale / noticeable errors? I have experienced no instability or decreased performance; memory and video tests checked out in OCCT / FurMark, temps are normal, etc.

Hi,
it might be possible but more likely is that a driver or firmware needs updating. Just so your running bug free gpu drivers try this. Download the app found here:
https://code.google.com/p/display-drivers-uninstaller/
Use it to uninstall your gpu drivers and it will also remove any old left over bits as well. Re-install with the lastest whql drivers.
I use a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB and using it with the supplied software is quite important really. You'll be able to turn on 'Rapid mode' which means it uses a bit of your system RAM to run faster and the latest firmware updates has the R/W speeds increased almost to the 1000mb/s mark, truly incredible. Also do make sure your system is running in AHCI mode.

Hey kemical,
I am definitely going to reformat as soon as I can. Do you have any suggestions on imaging / backing up so I don't have to reinstall everything again? Do you know if it would be possible to create a Windows Image and then use it after reinstalling? Or will switching from SATA to AHCI cause problems after loading the system image?

Also, I had one more blue screen. Same error, but you may be able to find a better clue...

Attachments

• 020114-15022-01.dmp
    284.7 KB · Views: 353
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D5, {fffff900ce050f08, 0, fffff9600016decf, 0}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!vCleanupPrivateFonts+6f )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
same as above really.

I actually didn't say re-install but just install the service pack. I wouldn't suggest backing anything up either apart from photo's, files, music and films. If you do a clean install you want it to be just that, start afresh as there is always a chance of you backing up something that has become corrupt.

The sound driver is still in need of updating too..

Back