Windows 7 Winload.exe missing

Xelis

Hi, I'm getting this message upon start up

\Windows\System32\winload.exe

The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

However this only happens when my Windows 7 disc is removed. Two options are presented at the bottom of this screen, Continue = Enter/Exit = Esc, when I press enter another screen pops up stating my previous OS "Vista Home Premium (Recovered)", not sure what recovered means though, but pressing enter here just reverts me back to the previous screen.

I formatted my drive with a fresh Windows 7 install yet it seems a trace of Vista somehow remains.

I have tried many 'remedies' for Winload, including reinstalling Windows 7, but none have worked so far.

EDIT: Tried a Scanos but it found 0 Windows installs... Yet I'm on Windows now, typing this.

Last edited:
If you did a clean install with ANY Vista stuff on other drives it isn't a clean install.

Remove/disconnect power to any drive that has ANY windows OS on it. It will search and find it and screw up a CLEAN install.

Once installed ur OK.

I have XP on a separate drive which I disconnected during install. I also have a D: partition but there is no OS stuff on that partition. I never ran Vista.

Usually means Bootmgr is looking in the wrong place for the osloader.

Either the bcd entry is incorrect , or it is being confused by an attached external drive of some kind.

Any usb devices attached?

If you post a screenshot of the Disk Management window - we will probabaly see what is going on.

If you did a clean install with ANY Vista stuff on other drives it isn't a clean install.

Remove/disconnect power to any drive that has ANY windows OS on it. It will search and find it and screw up a CLEAN install.

Once installed ur OK.

I have XP on a separate drive which I disconnected during install. I also have a D: partition but there is no OS stuff on that partition. I never ran Vista.
Thanks very much for your information. I disconnected my 2 storage harddrives and reinstalled Windows and now the Winload error has gone :D. Not sure why they caused the problem, they were just storage, but either way it's fixed :).

Back