Windows 7 Wireless Adapter problems - cannot install driver

Airwolfe

I use a Linksys Wireless-G adapter, having a lot of problems getting it to detect/install the drivers.

In device manager it detects as an unknown device (and both plugging in/unplugging the device has windows make a noise as it should). However when I try to install the driver via device manager - directing it to my CD drive and the drivers folder, it still says it can't find the drivers.
Installing from the disc doesn't seem to work either.

I've been reading a few posts but I don't think others were having the same exact problem. I saw the suggestion to uncheck box 6 in network properties, but I'm not sure what that was referring to. Also router setup - accept anonymous connections and in the Wifi Properties window - conf adapater adv. - 802.11x to long and short.
I looked around a bit and didn't see those options, so maybe those become available after the drivers are activated. I'm really unfamiliar with Win7 (and Vista for that matter) so could use some very specific help.

Im not sure the IP v6 issue that haunts some linksys products is whats affecting you. It sound like some other issue your facing. However if you want to try turning off IP V 6 it won't hurt...for now at least. Go to Network and sharing center...from there go to change adapter settings......then right click on the wireless lan and go to properties....there you will see where to uncheck ip version 6. While your there click on ip v 4 and click the properties button underneath it. Make sure "obtain ip automatically" is checked along with "obtain dns automatically". On that same window click advanced....and it should say on the IP settings tab that you are DHCP enabled. Repost and let me know whats going on.

I actually can't do any of that - there is nothing on the change adapter settings screen, just a blank space.

When I try to set up a new network, it says no networking hardware detected, when I try to connect to a network, it says no networks available (this is after connecting my adapter and running the install disc).

Hi I am new here and i have the same problem with WIN 7.. I hade a neatgear usb wireless adapter on WIN XP and worked just fine.. I jumped in to WIN 7 and started to have connection failures..I rebboted, reistald Vista drives manually, and from the official site of Netgear but nothing changed..
So i bought a new usb wireless adapter the TP-LINK WN321G 54Mbps... Same problem, i lose the connecion and when i have it it is so slow.. I tried to install the Vista drivers manually but same thing...
Any ideas:confused:

P.S Pardon my English, i am from Greece...:redface:

I still haven't resolved the issue.

I formatted/deleted the partition, re-formatted, re-installed windows 7 (during this time I've also reconfigured my entire network and set it up again.

To recap, I'm running through a Wireless-G adapter which is working off the signal from the computer in the other room.
This is Win7 beta, build 7100.

First I unplug my wireless adapter (hear the familiar xp-ish disconnect noise), replug it, hear a 'boop boop' (2 little noises, not 1). Then I put in the install disc for the adapter, run the program, it completes and says the adapter is installed.

So then I go to set up a network - it just tells me it cannot connect/there are no networks available, when I diagnose, it tells me to plug in an ethernet cable. That shouldn't apply for a wireless adapter.
On Network Connections, there is only
'Local Area Connection -
Network cable unplugged
Nvidia nForce networking controller'

Which I'm pretty sure is just the default dial up? Not what I want anyway.
Nothing about a wireless LAN there. But there should be at this point correct?

I'm not sure if these problems were adressed in later versions and release, but I hope so.
Still would like to know if there's anything I can do to get this running. I'd rather not buy the OS if it doesn't work on a basic operation such as connecting to the internet.

thanks for any help.

Last edited:
WLAN autoconfig was set to manual and not started. I changed that.
I wasn't able to open 192.168.1.1 on this computer - so I cloned the MAC on the computer with the router. Hopefully that accomplishes the same objective.
I checked the 'devices and printers' page but the adapter was still showing as lacking a driver. I again tried manually directing it to the folder on the cd with the drivers, still didn't find them.
So maybe I need some new, windows 7 compatible drivers for this device?

hm, well linksys' driver on their site s from 2004, so I think that will not be windows 7 compatible. I'll try it anyway but any ideas as to where I might find something that would work with win 7?

Further to....

Identical problems, right down to the Linksys adapter that won't install. Found a thread somewhere (been a long two days) about a 64-bit driver for an Ralink rt2500usb.inf driver - same chipset as the wusb54g - that Bilal in ca slightly modified so it looks like the Linksys driver and apparently works on Win7 64-bit systems.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

But I cannot get Win7 to recognize it as a driver, no matter where I stuff the files on the win7 system and point the driver update process. There's something about the configuration/identity of a driver or associated files that I'm missing, and I do wish someone would offer a clue.

.... but the alternative is spending about $400 for a new router and several adapters.... and starting all over with the network that has performed flawlessly until the appearance of Win7 64-bit. Sheesh.

Well, after spending far too much time trying to get alternate drivers to work with the wusb54g adapter, I took the path of least resistance and bought the new Linksys wusb54gc (ver 3) at Ofc Depot on sale for about $40. It installed with no problems, is working beautifully, and plays well with the rest of the network. FWIW... Anybody know if Linksys is even working on updating its drivers for existing devices, or just producing new ones?

Is is necessary to have a router and adapter from the same company? If so, is that an issue with connection speed/consistency?

Hello I am new here..

I have wireless adapter smcwpcit-g from SMC, it works fine with windows xp, I've just installed windows 7 (64 bit) ultimate few hours ago and can't get the wireless working.. I checked at microsoft compatibility list and it said it is compatible.. I don't want to buy another wireless adapter and using a cable is almost impossible due to location.. I tried to install manually the driver for win XP and vista, I check at SMC.com they don't have drivers for windows 7, and I check many other company don't have windows 7 driver..

How to get it work? Or does windows 7 doesn't need drivers?

Thanks, sorry for poor english, it was not my first language..

Nivex:
You're right, no help through SMC that I could find either. Do you have an option to physically plug the machine into your network using an ethernet cable and then maybe Windows Update might help?

I'll try to get a wireless broadband or something maybe.. Btw, I just found out when googling, all vista's driver work on windows 7? Anyone can clarify this?

Pure speculation, some do and some don't especially when it comes to 64 bit drivers and I didn't notice that SMC specified Vista 64bit. I don't suppose it would hurt anything to try.

SMCWPCIT-G and Windows 7

For those who have problems using SMCWPCIT-G with Windows 7.
I have successfully used builtin Atheros AR5005GS drivers (tested both for 32bit and 64bit Windows 7) instead of the non working SMC-drivers.

Control Panel -> Add a device -> Manually select -> Network card -> Atheros Comunication -> Atheros AR5005GS

Working as a charm.

I have been going through the same problem. :(
When I started out on Windows 7 ultimate (64-bit), I installed the Netgear WG111 adapter, which I had been using for some time beforehand with my 54 G router from Netgear on Windows Vista. While tracking down a problem with bluescreen issues, I realized it must be the wifi adapter when I was unable to reinstall it properly (and the bluescreens stopped). Assuming it was defective, I returned it under the manufacturer warranty and got a D-Link DWA-131 nano adapter and attempted to install it.
Same problem as with the re-install of the Netgear one; go through software configuration, insert hardware, hardware not found (even though Windows recognizes that hardware was inserted). In both cases I tried to update software - no dice - and of course rotating from my USB hub to plugging it directly into the tower's USB ports had no effect. Hardware is not recognized by either D-Link connection software or Windows Network and Sharing center.
It seems unlikely to me that the issue is my router, as both wired and wireless functions are completely unaffected on the other devices in my network. I am the only one running Win7.
Computer is HP Athlon DC 64 bit now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (though with all the compatibility issues I'm having, I almost wish it wasn't. :( ) USB Adapter is D-Link DWA-131. Can anyone help?

Create a new folder on your desktop, then go here and download the Win2K, WinXP, Vista 32, Vista 64, Win7 32, Win7 driver dated 11/12/2009 Link Removed - Invalid URL save it to your new folder on your desktop and use 7zip to extract it. Then open device manager and expand network adapters, select right click problem adapter and choose update driver software, then Browse my computer, then let me pick, then have disk button, then browse to here
C:\Users\YourUserName\Desktop\New folder\dwa131_drivers_120\Driver\Win7\X64 make sure that the net8192su.inf file is selected and click OK.
EIDT: Sorry forgot to mention, make sure you completely remove / uninstall any previously installed software that was included with the setup package and be sure to only install the drivers and then use the native Win7 wireless management utility to handle the device.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom