Windows 8 wireless dropping

billzant

Dear Forum,

I have just bought a new ASUS laptop, but unfortunately the wireless keeps dropping. Whilst my supplier will solve the problem it means that the machine will be returned to the factory and I will lose it for a month.

I therefore want to do all I can before having to do that in case the problem is not hardware.

Any suggestions?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

First of all if the retailer is saying that a return to manufacturer will solve the problem then they are effectively admitting that the laptop is not fit for purpose and in these circumstances a one month repair is not an acceptable response - I would demand a laptop which performs according to spec or a full refund. Having said that, dropping a wireless connection is more likely to be related to the environment in which you are using the laptop. If you think this may be the case then you should start by considering:

Is the router yours?
Are there any major obstructions between the router and your laptop?
Has it been properly set up?
Has it previously worked ok?
Does it work with other pc's?

In addition to Pat's questions, there may be some more.

Are there any messages in the Event Viewer?

Is there any time associated with these problems, either time of day, or time between events.

Some wireless devices have special drivers that might help keep the system working. Are you using the original ones or have you tried updating them?

What signal strength is being shown on the Wireless connection?

Other devices using the Wireless network beside PC, like phones or Smart TVs??

Are you 100% sure it's not your internet provider having problems? I only ask because I have Roadrunner and we are having sporadic problems from all of the heavy storms in the state. I suspect it is from repairs from the storm damage. Normally all it takes is to power cycle the modem.
Joe

Thanks for all the replies.

If I had returned the laptop withn a week they would have replaced it. I live in the countryside, there had been a storm and I was unable to use the internet. By the time I discovered the problem a week had transpired.

The router is mine, and I have two other laptops sharing the router, and when the signal had dropped on the ASUS it was working on the other laptops.

I think this additional information sheds more light on my reasoning.

I was using the WLAN driver provided on the ASUS DVD. I reinstalled it to no effect.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

In the circumstances you describe I'd have another go at the retailer. If you want to try and pursue it yourself can you identify the make and model of the wireless adapter then search the net for the latest driver yourself - preferably looking at the manufacturer's website.

Thanks for this, Pat.

I have taken the computer to them, and they are going to test it. I am hoping that the wireless will drop during the testing. If it does they have agreed to repair it. I have concerns that the wireless will work in their shop, and they will then refuse. But forget my pessimism - they will contact me tomorrow.

If they refuse I will get the computer back and find out about the wireless and check the manufacturer's site.

I had an appalling situation of he said she said with them more than a year ago. I had a flaky HDMI cable but did not know it. The cable worked with one computer and I bought a new netbook, it didn't work. I took the netbook back, they tested it and it worked. I sat in the computer shop for a while frustrated and angry, and decided to buy a new cable. It worked with both computers!!

Anyway we will see tomorrow with the wireless. Thanks for your help.

And, Pat, here is the final episode with a good solution.

Basically the ASUS laptop I bought does not support Windows 8 32-bit, so the wireless driver was not working properly - the touchpad was not so good either.

I contacted ASUS online, and they said that this model of laptop normally has Windows 8 64-bit pre-installed. I live in Thailand. When they give you a new machine they install a whole load of software - often useful because of lax application of copyright laws. However much of it is in Thai so I told the supplier that I would install Windows 8 myself, and install my own software. I suspect at the time the supplier did not know because when I took the machine back and explained that the wireless was dropping he didn't know.

To be fair to my supplier they then installed the windows 8 64-bit, and made the effort to install software in English for me. I still have a lot of messing about (customising) but all is well.

I think it is strange that a computer does not support windows 8 32-bit yet it does a 64-bit. However I don't really understand all this 32 and 64 bit developments - complications.

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom