Windows 7 Wireless Network issues

sezja

A bit of a strange issue here.

I recently purchased a new laptop, and installed W7 RC7100 on it. Brought it to my friends house and my house, both of which were equipped with wireless routers running in mixed g and n modes. Internet worked fine. The touchpad on my laptop bricked after a few hours, and I RMA'd it.

Received a new laptop, installed W7 RC1 build 7232 on it. 64 bit version.
Specs:
My Router: D-Link DIR-615n
Wireless Card: Atheros AR928x
Friends Router: Some Linksys router with n capabilities.
All have newest firmware

With:
Client for MS Networks
QoS Packet scheduler
IP4
IP6
Link Layer Mapper
Link Layer Responder
ENABLED,and bonjour disabled here are my results:

Router set to g protocol only:
100% network and internet functionality
Router set to n protocol only:
70% network and internet functionality(functionality is a rough guesstimate, but basically test it by going to a varity of websites until I start getting timeout errors)
Router set to g and n mixed:
10% network and functionality - works for 10-15 seconds after connecting to network, then shows maybe 5 seconds of connectivity per minute.

With only:
Client for MS Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
IP4
ENABLED, and Bonjour service disabled my results were:

Router set to g protocol only:
100% Functionality
Router set to n protocol only:
90% functionality(when browsing websites, seeing only about 4-6 seconds of downtime out of every 30-45 seconds)
Router set to g and n protocol:
60-75%

Note: When attempting to connect to my friends router set to g and n with above settings, friends router would not respond or allow wireless logins from my or her laptop.

So in summary: My wireless works fine with a router is set to g only in any situation. Disabling a decent amount of functions seems to moderately to substantially increase functionality while in n, or g&n modes. However, they are still unreliable.

Sorry for the relatively...unprofessional analysis and information I've given. I'd like to figure this out since...asking people to change over to g only is tiresome, and impossible in any public place.

I will do my best to provide any information needed.

Last edited:
Back