Windows 7 Wish i had never bothered!!!!

SoL73

I bought a Samsung R720 in July this year running Vista, everything worked as it should and i was very happy. I did however get a notification with it to say i was entitled to an upgrade to Windows 7 upon it's release. Brilliant i thought, better operating system and for just £17.

It arrived on Saturday 19th December and i installed it, everything seemed to be ok (after downloading some updates from Samsungs website), that was until today when i tried to use the dvd drive. When i try to open some photos on discs the drive has an intermittent fault, it either crashes the system altogether, does not recognise the discs or the drive disappears from the device manager completely!!

Frustrating is not the word - don't know whether i need to uninstall the driver and re-install it (although i can't find a driver on Samsungs website)

Wish i had not bothered upgrading to the so called 'better' product!!

well lets see if we can get it direct from manufacuter of drive hit start in search type in system then click system information when it loads hit components then go down to cd-rom then it should bring up detialed info

Hi Krypto, thanks for your reply, when i do that i get this:

Drive Not Available
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type UNKNOWN
Name TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633B ATA Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status Error
Transfer Rate 52500.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID Not Available
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CDDVDW_TS-L633B________________SC00____\5&D6072EF&0&1.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 106.00 KB (108,544 bytes), 14-Jul-09 12:11 AM)

i noticed the status is error, i'm assuming this is relevant??

this is a known issue with your drive check this article see if it works Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Hmm that firmware update isn't working, when it does the version check it keeps reporting 'drive not found' this is so annoying!! Any other ideas would be really appreciated :(

Hi, i did see that Mitchell, only problem being i only have an upgrade disc from Samsung, this apparantly should have provided me with a 'seamless upgrade experience' hmmmmm......

Yes, the "free upgrades" provided by manufacturers are upgrade only, this is unfortunate, though you can perform a clean install using an upgrade disc
These instructions are for Vista, but the setup process is the same for Windows 7,
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Ok thanks Mitchell, i will give that a go and hopefully it will work, i did email Samsung support but have had no reply from them - watch this space and will let you know how i get on.

Assuming the Samsung DVD is the normal MS upgrade, try this. It is documented on the web abd "officially" approved by Microsoft. I have read that it is 100% succesful, but cannot test it. The only, normal, poblem with the upgrade, is the activation. so:
The project is to clean install Windows 7 on a virgin PC. As I said, you can boot and run Setup with the Upgrade media for Windows 7, but when you go to activate, it won't work.
After performing the clean install, ensure that there are no Windows Updates pending that would require a system reboot. You'll see an orange shield icon next to Shutdown in the Start Menu if this is the case. Install the updates as required.
Then, after any reboots, open regedit.exe and navigate to:
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0".
Open the Start Menu again and type cmd to open the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Answer the UAC prompt.
In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm
Then tap ENTER, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

Back