Windows 7 WLAN Connectivity

zabberwan

Extraordinary Member
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get a new windows 7 computer to connect over WLAN, but am having a really frustrating experience. Paid a fortune for it and after 2 days I find that the manufacturer does not install WLAN unless specifically ordered. An atrocious sob and am sure will never again buy anything from them..

Finally, I bought a Wireless USB to enable wireless connectivity with a driver CD etc., but the darned thing is still not working although it can now after a severe birth, "see" the networks in the locality. After running the troubleshooter, it keeps repeating that it cannot connect to the specified network!

Can you please suggest a possible solution?

Thanks for any suggestions.. and regards to all!

zabberwan

I assume that the pc you refer to is a laptop. I am very surprised that an expensive Windows 7 laptop does not come with wireless ethernet. Is the router to which you are trying to connect already functioning with connection to any other pc? Please run a command prompt and enter this command:

ipconfig /all

and post the output here.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.. This is a Desktop.. and hope you understand German!

ipconfig /all is as follows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\Anwender>ipconfig /all

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname . . . . . . . . . . . . : ChiefsComputer
Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP-Routing aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
WINS-Proxy aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein

Drahtlos-LAN-Adapter Drahtlosnetzwerkverbindung:

Medienstatus. . . . . . . . . . . : Medium getrennt
Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n US
B 2.0 Network Adapter
Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-02-72-BB-42-92
DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja

Ethernet-Adapter LAN-Verbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix: Speedport_W_921V_1_17_000
Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Con
troller (NDIS 6.20)
Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 90-2B-34-52-49-05
DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja

Tunneladapter isatap.{870D3E0C-8AD3-4E95-9878-65D5CB5D5BA5}:

Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft-ISATAP-Adapter
Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein

Tunneladapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunneladapter isatap.Speedport_W_921V_1_17_000:

Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft-ISATAP-Adapter #3

zabberwan

Don't understand a word of German (not quite true actually - I can say "Zwei grossen bier bitte!) but I can understand your ipconfig from the context. I cannot see any IP addresses in the output. Have you tried making a wired ethernet connection from the RJ45 socket on your pc just to test if the TCP/IP protocols are functioning?

Don't understand a word of German (not quite true actually - I can say "Zwei grossen bier bitte!) but I can understand your ipconfig from the context. I cannot see any IP addresses in the output. Have you tried making a wired ethernet connection from the RJ45 socket on your pc just to test if the TCP/IP protocols are functioning?

I would love to add "mit zwei Kürzen" to that (meaning 2 short ones - like Schnaps)!

Yes, I can connect without any problems over the LAN and the Network works smoothly with all other computers. I will be trying it out shortly (about an hour or so) in the premises where it is going to stay put, and let you know how it goes..

Kokab

Hi,

I tried it out there, but the same problem it will not connect. It shows the Networks and WLAN connections alright and when asked to connect, it just churns a few times and gives up again trying to fix it, but to no avail. At the first instance it asked for the SSID and the 16 Digit Security Password, then tried to connect and failed. The built-in troubleshooter also offered to "repair all adapters" or "wireless adapters" etc and I tried them all under Administrator Privileges, but it still does not fix.

What do you suggest?

zabberwan

The error message (translated): Could not connect to "name of connection". However, it also gave a message once (translated): "Driver and Hardware failure". So I checked to re-install the Drivers, but got the message that the, "Devices/Adapters have the latest Drivers".

There was no number to any of the errors. Yesterday, before I installed the Wireless USB (which comes with its own little CD with Drivers and a customization interface), it gave the error number as 651.

zabberwan

It may be down to hardware incompatibility - I'm surprised you didn't go for a standard wireless ethernet board to plug directly into your motherboard - they cost just pennies nowadays and would probably be a much better solution. Have you considered that option?

Hi,
I overlooked those specifications and foolishly expected it to be serially installed. In fact this is my "nth" computer and never had to ask for it as it was always included. And these guys didn't have any hint that it was not included. It would have cost merely EUR 18 more. I bought this WLAN USB from a shop round the corner. He offered me 3 options this one for EUR 16.90 (300 Mbps), one other for 23.99 (with less speed) and a WLAN Card also 300 Mbps for ca. EUR 15.-, but needed to be installed to the Motherboard and Case. I think he may even exchange it without further fuss. I will gladly do that if works. What do you think, should I change it for the Card?

The one inside now is the: : Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n US B 2.0 Network Adapter

I will try and force an update on it, if there is newer version available, if that doesn't work, then I'll go for the Card even if I have to buy a new one.

Appreciate your input..

Zabberwan

The problem was the manufacturer update (Digitus) and as soon as I applied that it started working immediately!

Thanks for bearing with me. I have a couple of questions regarding Outlook 2010, but will post that as a new topic in an Office related forum. Do we have one?

Warm regards,

zabberwan :)

Back
Top Bottom