Windows 7 Wmp 12

simmyjiff

Hello,
I have upgraded from Vista to windows 7 on my Sony Vaio Laptop, all appears to be working fine, but!
I use this laptop during the evening whilst my son is on the Desk top upstairs.
I am running a Buffalo portable hard drive with a capacity of 250 Gb with all my music files copied from the desktop PC, the idea is to use this and play music. U unfortunately I am unable to change the settings to recognised the drive and play the music in WMP 12. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling wmp 12, I understand there are a number of issues with this, is there a patch? Thanks in anticipation!
Jim

Welcome to the forums, simmyjiff.

WMP => Alt => File => Open (Ctrl-O) => Navigate to your drive to open a media file, does it appear in windows explorer ? Do your see it when you open My Computer?

You should be able to add it to your library this way:

1. Start WMP
2. Switch it to library view (WMP has a special icon for this purpose - Right Bottom/Top)
3. Click on Organize on the top menu bar, click on "Manage libraries," and then choose the library to which you'd like to add a folder.
4. Next, click the "Add" button to browse for a folder and add it to your Windows Media Player library. You can select a folder on your local computer, an external USB hard drive, or even a networked location like another computer in your homegroup.

When you've chosen your folder, click the "Include folder" button.

5. Click "OK." It may take a few minutes for Windows to add and index the folder if it contains a lot of files.

You've now added a folder and all it's media files to your Windows Media Player 12 library. Continue to repeat the process to add more folder to your Media Player libraries.

This is one of the problems Cyborg, I am unable to select the 'music' library, I can select videos, TV and pictures but not music, I have also un-installed and re-installed WMP, but without any success. Any other ideas?
Thanks

Back