Windows 7 WMP12 vs External Hard Drive

BlackFox

I've recently decided to play my music from my computer to my Xbox 360; so I begun to acknowledge that they were both connected accordingly, and establishing a connection. After attempting to play music from the computer and also with Windows Media Center, I found that it did not play my music from my external hard drive (Western Digital Book, which is password protected and has been unlocked and is playable by iTunes). But here's the kicker, I found that my music will not play on my Xbox unless it can play on my Windows Media Player, fair enough... but I then found that Windows Media Player 12 does not recognize the drive (G:\) and I am stumped at this point. What should I do? I will provide any other information needed. Thank you very much.

I then found that Windows Media Player 12 does not recognize the drive (G:\) and I am stumped at this point. What should I do? I will provide any other information needed. Thank you very much.
Could you clarify what is drive G? WMP -> Alt -> File -> Open - can you see drive G from here?

Yes, it does. However, when I select a file (MP3) it gives "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem while playing the file." And it does it for virtually for every file in my drive. I may have vaguely described this but, where it shows 'Playlists', 'Music', 'Videos', etc., it does in fact show 'WD Smartwave F:' but not the drive 'G:\', I've even disabled the password function to it.

It could be permissions/sharing issue:

Drive G -> Properties -> Security -> Allow "Everyone".

Drive G -> Properties -> Sharing Tab -> Allow sharing.

The codec issue would be in case you could't play this same file from Music folder, copy it there from G drive and try to open.

I tried to copy a file from the G:\ drive and place it on my desktop and play it, but it gave me the same message. could it be my files are corrupted in a certain way or is it the player itself?

Back
Top Bottom