Windows 7 working with .vhd files

johnr6

Honorable Member
I converted an Acronis True Image .tib image file from an old computer into a .vhd file. I then attached the .vhd file in Windows 7 on a new computer. I can use the files from the attached .vhd file which are now on a virtual drive.

Is there any way to get selected files from the virtual drive onto my main C drive?

For some reason, recovering certain files from the original .tib image file using Acronis True Image Home 2010 does not want to work. I can recover Word & Excel files but not music (MP3) or video (mpeg, avi, etc) files. Acronis Forum is useless.

Thanks for any help.

It's not clear from your description whether or not you've tried so apologies if I'm asking the obvious but have you tried mounting the tib image file as a virtual drive? Alternetive, have you tried "restoring" or cloning from the image file to a spare drive or partition?

All my problems were related to Administrator Permissions + Hidden files.
I am hating Windows 7 after XP. Seems like some of the Administrator issues are still there after Vista fiasco.

I believe many of these problems of ownership etc are sidestepped by avoiding storage of user data anywhere on the system drive. I use the system drive for only software - system and applications together with associated configuration information. All my user data is stored on separate drives/partitions. I avoid all the default My Documents, My Downloads etc and ensure that all downloads and default folders are set to my data drive also.

Back