Windows 7 www.giveawayoftheday.com

Beware of this Giveaway. (Element TotalProtect 4-9-2010) It has knocked out my internet connection on the computer I tried to install this on. It downloaded and installed but "killed" my internet connection and failed to activate. I have removed the application with revo uninstaller but have not yet been able to restore the wireless internet connection.

Update to "Beware": (I do not find the "edit" function today, so I will reply to my own post) I was able to restore my netbook to normal functionality with System Restore. I do not understand exactly what this program did to my system, but it changed my WPA wireless network key and effectively disabled the network adapter on that computer. Simply changing the network key to the correct key failed to restore internet connectivity. A System Restore, however, fixed everything. (I don't think I need any more of that kind of "protection")

Hi John,

This is exactly why I don't post every giveaway.

I post the well-trusted manufacturer;s or one's that I had experimented with and recommend.

Always create a system restore point before installing anything from that site.

I hope you get you problems straightened out.

Restore point

Hi John,

This is exactly why I don't post every giveaway.

I post the well-trusted manufacturer;s or one's that I had experimented with and recommend.

Always create a system restore point before installing anything from that site.

I hope you get you problems straightened out.

Thanks reghakr! Yes I did create a restore point and the fix was as simple as utilizing that restore point. I also have Windows Home Server back-up which has shown its worth by "saving my butt" as a second tier back-up on several occasions. (I also create a system image on an external HDD on my desktop computers every month or so as a third tier back-up which I have never yet had to rely on.)

I only posted the information concerning my difficulties with this particular Giveaway for the benefit of any users that might be considering installing it on their systems. The moral of this story is, "Always create a restore point before making ANY changes to your computer." (As the code goes that truck drivers live by: "Don't turn onto any street unless you know how you are going to get back out." Likewise, Don't make any changes to your computer unless you know how to undo it if things go sour) :eek:

June 3, 2010:

Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily - USBCrypt

usbcrypt_120.jpg

USBCrypt is a powerful software encryption utility that you can use to password-protect your USB and other removable and fixed drives with strong AES encryption. The encrypted drives can be used with other computers that do not have USBCrypt software installed.

USBCrypt can protect any USB, flash, or thumb drive supported by Windows. The protected drives can be used to store any kind of files and documents: texts, spreadsheets, financial files, videos, MP3s, etc. The option to create a “spare key” file, to be used in case you forget your password, is also available.

Back