XBOX 360 as extender crashes computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by kmeyer518, Dec 27, 2011.

1. kmeyer518

kmeyer518 New Member

I have my XBOX 360 connected via ethernet cable and often times when I attempt to view Live TV or play a recorded show through the XBOX, it crashes the computer.

I have 64 Bit Windows 7, 4 GB RAM, 2.8 GHz quad core, 1 GB XFX Radeon HD 5670, and use the AVerMedia A188 PCIe Pure ATSC TV Tuner.

I've even gone as far as reinstalling Windows 7 with the thought that it might be a 3rd party software issue to no avail.

It does work about 70% of the time, but its really annoying waiting for the computer to restart.

Why does this keep happening and what can I do to fix it?

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

What process did you use to set the xBox as an extender? Was it with WMP or Window Media Center?

3. kmeyer518

kmeyer518 New Member

I set it up through Windows Media Center.

4. Saltgrass

If it set up correctly, maybe it is related to what content you are trying to stream. Music is the easiest, does it crash the system?

I don't have an xBox, so can't test options.

Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if any errors are showing up?

I might look at the driver for the Network Adapter on the computer...

5. kmeyer518

kmeyer518 New Member

I don't play music through the extender very often, but have never experienced a crash.

The Event Viewer does seem to have a critical error when the crash occurs. Here's a pic...

Capture.PNG

The driver for the Network Adapter is up to date. Is there something else I should be looking for in regards to this?

6. Saltgrass

The Kernel Power message is a result of the other problem.

If you are actually getting a Blue Screen crash, you can check the BSOD forum for instructions on what you might need to get the crash analyzed.

You are saying live video, so I assume recorded video streams normally? If the system is decoding, recording and streaming at the same time, it might be causing the system a problem. Have you given any thought to more memory? Using 8 G in a x64 system really improves the memory performance. I don't have any experience with your video or tuner card, but I assume the system works fine if it is not streaming.

There is also a troubleshooter in the Control Panel you might check to see if any troubleshooters could help.

You might also open an administrative command prompt and type sfc /scannow to check you system files. It might find something out of place.