Windows 7 XBOX 360 Media Extender - Fails with Windows Firewall

badg0003

I've installed and re-installed the XBOX 360 Media Center Extender to many times to count. Each time I install it the thing fails - absolutely will not connect with my Xbox. The _only_ way I can get it to work is to disable the Windows Firewall. Probably not the ideal thing to do.

Is there a way I can keep Windows Firewall enabled? Some of the tutorials out there say to add an exception for "Media Center Extenders", but nowhere do I see this within the settings. My system, BTW, is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Additionally, I should add that I'm hooked up wirelessly from both machines (PC and Xbox). When I connect the Xbox (when the firewall is disabled) I find the browsing is painfully slow. Any workarounds for that as well?

I'd really appreciate the help on this - especially being able to connect with Windows Firewall enabled.

Thanks.

There are various ways to configure ways that work. Check out the solutions:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hey buddy you can jaunt on over to my post if you want, http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...ant-add-xbox-extender-wmc-but-others-can.html

but first I want you to go to the highlited buttons security page.png

The first one dig through the check box to find the words media center.
The second one dig though both outbound and inbound rules for the words media extender or file sharing.

Let me know how that goes for ya.

Last edited:
SOLVED. I modified a registry value because the media extender service kept disabling itself. I also wiped anything with the word "codec" in it.

Remember to make your SSDP discovery is on and all its dependents(media extender and Upnp). if you restart the that services and both dependencies don't restart with it, you may have a registry problem or codec pack.

"you may perform the below steps and check if these help you resolve the issue -
Step 1:
a. Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then clickregedit.exe in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type your password, or clickContinue.

b. Locate the following registry subkey, and then click it:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mcx2Svc

c. In the details pane, right-click ImagePath, and then click Modify.

d. In the Value data box, type the following registry value, and then click OK:
%SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation

e. Also make sure that the ServiceSidType is set to 1.

f. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. "

Error 1290 when trying to setup Media Center extender for X360 in Win7 - Microsoft Answers

Back
Top Bottom