Windows 7 XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit

eternityskate

So I recently bought the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and I'm attempting to go from my 32bit XP OS to the 64 bit Windows 7. I made sure to back everything up and when I tried putting in the 64bit disc, it wouldnt let me install it and an error message popped up almost immediately. I succesfully installed the 32bit disc but I want to be running the 64bit so I can run the new Adobe Premiere. I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor that should run 64 bit but it's not allowing me to, any ideas as to where to go from here? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have enough memory? Did you do a clean install? Your CPU can handle a 64 bit install but you need at least 4gb of memory and you need to do a "Custom Install" tell us what your error message was.

2 GB is the official Microsoft recommended minimum memory capacity for 64 bit Windows 7. It can run on less.

Yeah, I've got 4Gigs of RAM. The error message is:
"This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computers system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc and then select custom (advanced)."

I really need this figured out. Thanks guys!

Your computer may not be able to handle a 64-bit operating system. Don't forget, your computer from XP, so your computer sounds quite old. You first need to check if your computer can run a 64-bit operating system, which I doubt it can. Sorry for breaking it to you, but it looks like you will have to use the 32-bit version. But you could always run a 64-bit windows xp in virtual machine to use that application.

Eternity, you have to boot the computer to the DVD to install it. You have to change your bios settings to boot to DVD or continuously tap F8 when powering on the machine for a choice to show.

We probably should mention that there is actually no true straight from XP to Win7 upgrade path. You would have to do the migration thing using the Window Easy Transfer wizard that's available on the Win7 DVD or upgrade to Vista and then to Win7. Second there is no way that I know of to directly upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. You can't even do it from one Win7 version to another as far as I know. So I think you are basically left with a clean install from Upgrade Media. Not the easiest of tasks but reportedly do-able. There are some articles available discussing this exact process on the web. Here's one that may help.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back
Top Bottom