Windows XP XP Broken

AKPatriot

I was running xp, until the windows/system32/config/system was found missing. I do not have the windows disk, but I do have a Linux mint 16 disk. For some reason it won't let me boot from DVD, I stead just giving the error message.

If you can get Linux to boot you can look in the System Volume Information\_restore\RP folders for previous copies of your registry including the SYSTEM hive file.

If you can get Linux to boot you can look in the System Volume Information\_restore\RP folders for previous copies of your registry including the SYSTEM hive file.

When I put the DVD in, and boot from disk, it still gives me the error message. I've checked the BIOS boot, and CDROM/DVD is on top, I've pressed keys during boot, I've even gone into boot settings and selected to boot from DVD. All just end up showing the windows error message. Am I doing something wrong? Should I try a USB?

Yes something isn't right, either you are not correctly selecting the boot device, or you did not burn the Linux CD/DVD correctly, or your CD/DVD drive is not working properly. You can try USB sure.

Yes, do you have access to an XP boot disc? Or can borrow one from a friend or neighbor? They abound out there now since the software is 15 years old. You can buy them new on ebay for like $5.

If you can't boot to the XP boot disc, try the disc on another Windows PC and if it boots, chances are your CD or DVD/CD drive is shot as Josephur says. On any XP computer the hardware is from 10-15 years old, and those optical drives often begin to fail after about 7-9 years of age if not sooner.

If your Optical drive is shot, and you want to buy a replacement they are inexpensive on ebay; around $25 or less in most cases. If you don't know how to replace them in a desktop PC, which requires you open up the case to do so, consider buying a USB external DVD/CD writer. They are now pretty cheap, and that would take care of a broken internal CD or DVD/CD drive for about the same price but without having to disassemble your computer. See link here:
https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...n+usb+2.0+portable+external+dvd+optical+drive

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Nice, I'm glad you were able to figure it out!

realizing this is closed now, AKPatriot … i'd like to inquire if you regularly scan your drive for bad things … and also update your reference files. you never mentioned in this post … neither did any of the members replying. veritably, the possibility does exist.

and, even though you successfully resurrected win-xp … this is to serve as a callous reminder … back up your important personal files … because the infestation might still be lurking … ready to strike!

Back