Windows 7 XP to 7 issues with downloaded version of 7

timaishu

Through my school I was able to download Windows 7 Professional (x86) - DVD (English) from MSDN.

The only way to get it was to download it. I unzipped the zip file and found that in the folder it contains a setup.exe. I ran it and everything is fine up until the first restart. When it restarts it brings me to a black screen with the windows emblem glowing and it says Windows Setup. Nothing else progresses from their. I left it to run at one point for 15 minutes and my computer eventually gave me a BSOD.

Im stumped as for what I should do. I run the installer from within XP and once it gets to the point of the first restart it stops working.

I tried making an .ISO of the zip file in an attempt to make an install disk and that doesnt work either.

Can anyone shed some light into how to go from XP to 7 with a downloaded copy of 7?

First off, are you using the official download from Microsoft's site?

Try burning the ISO at 1x speed using a good quality name brand DVD..
You can use Imgburn to accomplish this:
The Official ImgBurn Website

Put the burned ISO in the drive and restart your computer. It will start the installation immediately. If it doesn't start immediately, you'll need to get into the BIOS and set the CR-ROM as your first boot device.

You don't need to use the setup file at all.

Last edited:
I downloaded windows 7 legally from MSDN Academic Alliance Software Center, I go to a school thats signed up with them so I get free software.

Here is a screen cap of where I downloaded it from and the windows 7 folder name and what it contains.

windows7.jpg

I will try again burning it. Do I burn the folder or the zip file?

That isn't an .iso you downloaded.
It looks like what you downloaded is the contents of a Win 7 install DVD.
It's possible that copying the files therein to a blank DVD will produce a usable install disc, but I doubt it.
I have a USB install drive of the RC. I will try copying it to my HDD and then to a blank DVD to see if it will work.
Will report back.

Just as I thought simply copying the files on my thumb drive based installer to a DVD didn't work.
I have to assume that copying the files you have will not work either.

I'm thinking what you have is a set of upgrade files meant to upgrade from Vista to Win 7.
Since there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7 that would explain why you get the results you reported.

I've been told here, in this forum, that you can do an upgrade from Vista, from within Vista using the setup file from the DVD
like you tried to do from XP.

Anyway, what you should have gotten was an .iso image that you can burn using a program like Nero to create a bootable
DVD installer.

Question, did you recieve a valid product key with your D/L.

You need a valid product key.

Having installed ImgBurn when you Rt Click the file will get BURN w/ ImgBurn; will burn the .iso. Do the burn @ x4 or less (very important).

Drew
Drew he hasn't got a .iso image to burn using any method.
Look at his screenshot of the folder he D/L'd.
He has copies of the files created when you burn an .iso image to a DVD.
Something strange here.

The installation procedure is going to be the same as the rc1. It would have to be an iso image to a dvd. with xp its only a clean install from the iso dvd using something like nero to burn. Using advanced setting partions in bios ect. Only vista can you use as an upgrade.

Also check the file size. The download is huge. Even downloading at 1.5mbps the download time is up to four hours. Don't understand the zip idea for the os.

looks like clicking on the unzipped setup file will start the windows 7 setup. Is vista required? Because xp needs a clean install?

Just as I thought simply copying the files on my thumb drive based installer to a DVD didn't work.
I have to assume that copying the files you have will not work either.

I'm thinking what you have is a set of upgrade files meant to upgrade from Vista to Win 7.
Since there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7 that would explain why you get the results you reported.

I've been told here, in this forum, that you can do an upgrade from Vista, from within Vista using the setup file from the DVD
like you tried to do from XP.

Anyway, what you should have gotten was an .iso image that you can burn using a program like Nero to create a bootable
DVD installer.

Question, did you recieve a valid product key with your D/L.

You need a valid product key.

Yes, I was given a valid product key to activate after installation.

When you clicked on the download link, was it a .zip file or a .iso file?

It downloaded as a zip file. On some programs from MSDN, you have a choice to download either an .ISO and whatever I got. There was no option to download an .ISO for windows 7.

The installation procedure is going to be the same as the rc1. It would have to be an iso image to a dvd. with xp its only a clean install from the iso dvd using something like nero to burn. Using advanced setting partions in bios ect. Only vista can you use as an upgrade.

Also check the file size. The download is huge. Even downloading at 1.5mbps the download time is up to four hours. Don't understand the zip idea for the os.

I know I have to do a clean install. Originally, when I ran the setup file, thats the option I chose. It had options for either upgrade or clean install. I chose the clean install one.

Also, the .zip file I downloaded from MSDN is 2.32GB in size.

Yes, I was given a valid product key to activate after installation.

It downloaded as a zip file. On some programs from MSDN, you have a choice to download either an .ISO and whatever I got. There was no option to download an .ISO for windows 7.

I know I have to do a clean install. Originally, when I ran the setup file, thats the option I chose. It had options for either upgrade or clean install. I chose the clean install one.

Also, the .zip file I downloaded from MSDN is 2.32GB in size.
Is there an .iso file in the zip or is the folder in your screen cap the only file/folder in the .zip?
If there is no .iso then you cannot use the files you have to install Win 7 from within XP unless someone knows how to make those files bootable when copied to a DVD.

You need the .iso to create a bootable DVD or USB flash installer.

Drew says that the .iso is included in the .zip folder.
If it is burn it to DVD using the instructions posted earlier.

You need to let us know if there is an .iso file included along with the folder you showed in your screen shot.

If you have the .iso you would "burn" the image, not copy it to your DVD.

When done right exploring the DVD would show all the files in the folder you got by unzipping the downloaded .zip file.

When done wrong all that would be on the DVD would be the raw .iso.

Is there an .iso file in the zip or is the folder in your screen cap the only file/folder in the .zip?
If there is no .iso then you cannot use the files you have to install Win 7 from within XP unless someone knows how to make those files bootable when copied to a DVD.

You need the .iso to create a bootable DVD or USB flash installer.

Drew says that the .iso is included in the .zip folder.
If it is burn it to DVD using the instructions posted earlier.

You need to let us know if there is an .iso file included along with the folder you showed in your screen shot.

If you have the .iso you would "burn" the image, not copy it to your DVD.

When done right exploring the DVD would show all the files in the folder you got by unzipping the downloaded .zip file.

When done wrong all that would be on the DVD would be the raw .iso.

I explored all the folders within the .zip file and found no files with the .ISO extension..

I dont get what I am supposed to do with this .zip file. Maybe it is meant for vista<7? I can download vista from MSDN. Maybe I should try going from XP<Vista<7?

Well, I'm saying I would presume the .iso ought to be in the zip. However I know when we Beta Testers downloaded the OS files from Connect they were not zips. Something does sound a wee bit strange here, as mentioned by someone earlier.

And honestly, it just never ocured to me there was any confusion between "copy" or "burn". Absolutely, you will never get anywhere if copying... must be burnt.

Cheers,
Drew

Maybe I phrased something funny in one of my posts. I KNOW how to make .ISO's. Ive burned them before several times. Movies and games included. Im aware that burning the files to a disk as a data dvd will get me know where.

If I was given an .ISO (which it appears I was not) I likely would have no issues. I have both nero 6 and image burn.

Yeah, I've already sent out some emails.

I agree, it seems what I downloaded is a dud.. There is no .ISO listed for windows 7 from MSDN, so it seems I am out of luck.

I plan to reformat anyways, so I may reformat so I have a fresh install of XP. Then download Vista from MSDN and see what happens. Not like I have anything to lose.

Thank you guys for all your help. Unless anyone can come up with some magic solution, I think this thread is done with.

You need a special program to make a bootable .iso from the windows installation files.

I understand there is no bootable .iso download for those student deals - what you got is what you should get.

I am not sure this will fix your problem - since it occurs not running the setup, but at first restart.

However - once you have a bootable .iso - burn it to dvd as an image NOT as data with an isoburner . You will then have an installation dvd.

D/L this zip, unzip it and put oscdimg.exe in \Windows \system32.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Copy your 7 installation folder directly onto the C drive .

Open cmd prompt ( elevate if you are in Vista/7)

Type :

oscdimg.exe -m -u2 –bC:\NameOf_7_InstallationFolder\Boot\etfsboot.com C:\NameOf_7_InstallationFolder C:\Win7.iso

Press enter - off she goes.

I can't read the name of the folder from your screenshot. It looks like en_Windows_7_Professional_x86_some other stuff.

Careful of the spacing in the command. There is no gap in etfsboot.com - curious aberration of this site causes that.

Last edited:
Maybe I phrased something funny in one of my posts. I KNOW how to make .ISO's. Ive burned them before several times. Movies and games included. Im aware that burning the files to a disk as a data dvd will get me know where.

If I was given an .ISO (which it appears I was not) I likely would have no issues. I have both nero 6 and image burn.

Sorry for stating what seems to you to be the obvious but you would be surprised how many folks don't know the difference between "burn" and "copy". I don't know you or your level of expertise. Thanks for clarifying this. I was only trying to help.

Good luck in your efforts.

Unzip all the files to a folder called Setup. Run the Setup again from there and choose the customise option. Elect to install on another partition, of course, (not the one where you have the setup folder!!).

timaishu - have you done it yet ?

Right now I am in the process of reformatting my computer back to a fresh install of XP Home. MSDN offered Windows XP Professional with an .ISO download option. For kicks I downloaded it and gave it a try. Wasnt able to burn it to a disk AGAIN. Im starting to think that maybe something is wrong my burner or the program itself as there were alot of hicups and several botched disk burns.

I ended up running the setup file and trying an upgrade and I got pretty far until it wanted me to insert a disk that contained an NVIDIA nForce Network Adapter INF file. The ONLY disk that could possibly contain what it wanted was my motherboard driver disk. Inserted it and got nothing. It didnt believe the file was there. So again I was screwed over in that I was stuck with my computer constantly trying to continue the upgrade even though it was impossible.

I said screw it and got out my old XP Home disk and forced it to boot that, deleted my partition and now Im starting over.

Blehh. I may give what you said a try once I get my computer up to date. My XP disk is so old it only has service pack 1a. lol

Last edited:
" My XP disk is so old it only has service pack 1a. lol "

It won't matter much if my suggestions works. You just have to get up and running. You may have a bad download (of the ZIP) but, in the course of my computer useage, I often find a need to reinstall. My method is my default way of doing thay - it's quicker. Not forgetting that the best way is to create an image of you initial install and copy that back each time!!

Back