"You need permission to perform this action"

lrcite

Greetings,

I downloaded a file to my desktop. I plugged in my USB external hard drive to transfer my downloaded file to the USB external hard drive. I got a dialog box telling me that "You need permission to perform this action"

I am the only user on my computer. I have an adminstrative account. So this dialog box is telling me I need permission to drag the file on my desktop to my USB external hard drive. I do not understand why I need permission since I am the administrator and the only user on my computer.

I am on Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.

The file is Internet Explorer 8 for Vista. I want to put this file on my Vista Computer. I know I could go to my Vista Computer and download the file. But I am just curious as to why I get this dialog box.

How do I get around this situation so I can put the file on my USB external hard drive?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

lrcite

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Download and install this app.
It will add a command to the right click drop down that should let you get past these messages.

Everyone has these problems, Windows 7 is a little overzealous with it's security.

Grant Admin Full Control

Take and Grant Full Control Permissions and Ownership in Windows 7 or Vista Right Click Menu « My Digital Life

Mike

lrcite

Mike,

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

lrcite

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.