Windows 8 ccleaner

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I have 8.1 and ran Ccleaner Windows tab with checks as they are by default.
After, although File Hippo update manger appeared in add remove, it could not function when I clicked on it. I had heard how reliable Ccleaner "Windows" tab was so I tried it. Did I have a rare incident or is the Windows tab not safe?
I would never run the registry part of it.

Hi Peter,

BBJ here again. I've been using Ccleaner very sparingly since last year. The other Tech forums I'm on don't like ANY Registry Cleaners. Though this one, along with Registry Mechanic do a pretty good job. That being said, I think I've run Ccleaner, Windows options defaults on Win8 and Win8.1 as well as the Win10 tech preview. I don't normally download any programs from PIRIFORM or anything else for that matter from FILEHIPPO. I've experienced various problems over the years. I also use DEFRAGGLER also a piriform app, and I always download from the PIRIFORM servers or mirrors.

I would suggest that you uninstall your Ccleaner from your hard drive, and re-download the Ccleaner from the PIRIFORM mirror rather than FILEHIPPO. Try again, and the filehippo update manager is really a download manager, works much like CNET or SOFTONIC. I don't like those darn things (the download managers) and rarely use them.

If this still doesn't get rid of the filehippo update manager thingy, do a SYSTEM RESTORE and rollback your Win8.1 to a point in time prior to when you installed the Ccleaner via filehippo. If it still doesn't work, and you can't manually remove from Programs in Control Panel, you'll either have to do a manual Registry app removal via REGEDIT.EXE *be careful if you haven't done this before as it's very high risk! Make sure all your personal data is backed up to external media first*.

Lastly, if you still can't get rid of the filehippo update manager, or you don't want to risk a manual Registry app removal as above, you should do a complete Win8.1 reinstall and drive wipe.

I don't think it's an anomaly, you just downloaded the Ccleaner from the wrong source! I've had no major problems with Ccleaner on Win8/8.1 on both laptops and desktops!

Let me know how it goes.

Best,:thumbs_up:
<<<BBJ>>>

A warning reported that I have 2 drives etc and things were a mess. I have never seen it like this. I did a reset and ok so far. So much for Ccleaner and thanks for your help.

Glad that helped you out! Remember if you do use it again on that computer or on another computer, make sure to download the install executeable file directly from piriform's mirror server; NOT filehippo's!

Thanks for posting back with your final solution and sharing with everyone else.;)

Cheers! :coffee:
<<<BBJ>>>

I am firm believer in Ccleaner.. Used in in Win7 and Win8.1. Get it from the original source is right.

I've done the registry clean portion a number of times... just save the REG as the program suggests, before doing so...

Windows Does not need a registry cleaner period.

This is why one isn't included in the operating system.

Ccleaner is perfectly fine just don't use the Reg' cleaner or any other registry cleaner for that matter it's simply not needed.

BigBear -I went fro the frying pan to the fire. I did a reset on a laptop and now there is no sleep option. I have tried the advanced settings but sleep is not even in the settings. Everything else is fine. Should I start a new thread?

Back
Top Bottom