ethernet jack hotel

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
When you plug your ethernet cable from your router into the hotel jack, and your router to your laptop, should you enter your router's security key as you would at home, or should you enter the hotel's access key? It may sound rudimentary but I have not done this before and would like to know what to expect.
Thank you

Generally speaking, at least here in the U.S., most hotel/motel ethernet jacks located in your room are ethernet switch ports which are preconfigured to only support a single device connections and attempting to connect a second ethernet appliance like another switch or router is generally not allowed or supported.
That being said there are possibly some exceptions and or work arounds that may work but it's likely you will need to communicate your intentions to the people responsible for managing the hotel's network to see if they can offer any helpful suggestions to support what you want to do.
Good luck
Randy

Hi Randy.
I hope I can use the router for security but I cannot change the rules.
Thank you for your imput.
Peter

Should be relatively safe.
When you attach to their network you will be prompted to select a network type. I generally choose public in these circumstances.
Open the network and sharing center on your windows machine and select (from the left column) change advanced sharing settings.
Expand the "Public" section
Turn off network discovery
Turn off file and printer sharing
Turn off Public Folder sharing
Use 128-bit encryption
Turn on password protected sharing. (make sure any shares on your laptop are password protected (best practice all around))
Make sure that you at least have the windows built-in firewall turned on as well as a good and updated antivirus solution in place.
Again check with the hotel staff, as they might be able to help you include your router or at least advise you as to any security that they have in-place for your peace of mind.

Hello trouble and thank you for replying.
With the exception of choosing "public", which I just x'd out, I did everything you recommended.
They said the IT people do not want others to use routers as a gent from Germany messed things up one time.
I feel naked without the router but am relying upon Norton Security Suite and the hotel's administrator.
I am curious why you would choose public. I ask as a reltive novice. Choosing home seemed more secure to me. I know there are two groups;one you need for work and the other is something like home which I have a password for but am not sure if it is safe to use to share for example.
If public is abetter choice perhaps I should find it and select it.
Thank you for your help.
Peter

It's just a method I use to allow me to use two different configurations in respect to the way my windows 7 machine behaves regarding the two seperate network environments. One being private (home or work) the other being public, hotels, motels, coffee shops, etc., so in public locations I'm not convienently available to other users of the same subnet with network discovery, file and printer sharing, etc., turned off. That's actually what the option is for.
Even the windows firewall has seperate options regarding the public network profile so I just feel a little bit more comfortable using that option in those cases.
I can set the various parameters seperately in the public option and leave everything alone in the Home / Work area, so I'm not changing them back and forth when moving from one environment to the other.
You can change it from within the Network and Sharing Center simply by clicking on the link labeled Home Network or Work Network (whatever it is presently) that should bring up a dialog box which should allow you to adjust it to the public option.
Just a matter of personal preference from my perspective.

Back
Top Bottom