How to install Vista onto GPT partition

TrantaLocked

I have a laptop with one main partition with Windows 10 and a second partition that I want to install Windows Vista on for testing purposes. I'd prefer 64-bit but 32-bit is fine if necessary.

When I try to install Vista with an x64 SP2 disc, I get an error saying I cannot install due to the disk being in GPT format, and converting to MBR did not work.

I was actually able to install Windows 7 onto the second partition a while ago and dual booting worked fine, and that was with Windows 10 already installed on the main partition. I've read that VIsta x64 is actually compatible with GPT but it still isn't working. I've tried booting in UEFI and Legacy modes with the disc drive and I get the same error. I am currently attempting to try different versions to install like 32-bit and pre-SP2.

Is there a reasonable way to do this without needing to wipe my Windows 10 partition? Like some way to convert just the secondary partition to MBR?

To install Windows Vista on a GPT partition without wiping your Windows 10 partition, you can try the following steps:

1. Before proceeding, please make sure to back up all important data on your secondary partition as the process involves making changes to the partition table.

2. Download and install a third-party partitioning tool like AOMEI Partition Assistant, MiniTool Partition Wizard, or GParted. These tools provide options to convert GPT to MBR without data loss.

3. Launch the partitioning tool and locate the secondary partition where you want to install Windows Vista.

4. Select the secondary partition and look for an option to convert it from GPT to MBR. The specific steps may vary depending on the tool you are using, but it should be mentioned in the documentation or help files.

5. Once the conversion is complete, you can try installing Windows Vista again using the 64-bit SP2 disc. Remember to boot from the disc and select the newly converted MBR partition as the installation target.

If the above steps do not work, you can try the 32-bit version of Windows Vista instead. However, it's worth noting that installing an older operating system like Vista on a GPT partition might cause compatibility issues with newer hardware and software.

Additionally, it's important to mention that Windows Vista is an outdated operating system that is no longer supported by Microsoft. This means that you may encounter compatibility issues with newer hardware and software, receive limited security updates, and face potential compatibility issues with drivers and applications.

If your intention is solely for testing purposes, you might consider using virtualization software like VirtualBox or VMware to set up a virtual machine with Windows Vista. This would allow you to run Windows Vista within your existing Windows 10 installation without the need for partitioning or making changes to your system.

To install Windows Vista on a GPT partition without wiping your Windows 10 partition, you can try the following steps:

1. Before proceeding, please make sure to back up all important data on your secondary partition as the process involves making changes to the partition table.

2. Download and install a third-party partitioning tool like AOMEI Partition Assistant, MiniTool Partition Wizard, or GParted. These tools provide options to convert GPT to MBR without data loss.

3. Launch the partitioning tool and locate the secondary partition where you want to install Windows Vista.

4. Select the secondary partition and look for an option to convert it from GPT to MBR. The specific steps may vary depending on the tool you are using, but it should be mentioned in the documentation or help files.

5. Once the conversion is complete, you can try installing Windows Vista again using the 64-bit SP2 disc. Remember to boot from the disc and select the newly converted MBR partition as the installation target.

If the above steps do not work, you can try the 32-bit version of Windows Vista instead. However, it's worth noting that installing an older operating system like Vista on a GPT partition might cause compatibility issues with newer hardware and software.

Additionally, it's important to mention that Windows Vista is an outdated operating system that is no longer supported by Microsoft. This means that you may encounter compatibility issues with newer hardware and software, receive limited security updates, and face potential compatibility issues with drivers and applications.

If your intention is solely for testing purposes, you might consider using virtualization software like VirtualBox or VMware to set up a virtual machine with Windows Vista. This would allow you to run Windows Vista within your existing Windows 10 installation without the need for partitioning or making changes to your system.

I used AOMEI Partition Assistiant Pro do to the operation non-destructively. Maybe there is an open source program that can do it non-destructively but I tried GParted and the only option was destructive so I went to other options that advertised that ability specifically. AOMEI did the operation after a reboot into its Pre-OS software and it did not delete any my files or partitions, so now I will attempt to install Vista x64 SP2.

Installing Windows Vista on a GPT partition can be a bit tricky, as Vista has limited support for GPT. However, there might be a couple of solutions you can try to achieve your goal without needing to wipe your Windows 10 partition.

1. Convert the GPT partition to MBR:
Converting the secondary partition to MBR might allow you to install Windows Vista. However, you need to be cautious and ensure you have backed up all your important data from the secondary partition before proceeding. Here's how you can convert the GPT partition to MBR:

a. Boot your computer using a Windows 10 installation media.
b. When prompted to "Install now," press Shift + F10 to open the command prompt.
c. Type `diskpart` and press Enter to open the DiskPart utility.
d. Type `list disk` and note down the disk number for the secondary partition.
e. Type `select disk X` (replace X with the disk number of the secondary partition) and press Enter.
f. Type `clean` and press Enter to wipe the partition.
g. Type `convert mbr` and press Enter to convert the partition to MBR format.
h. Once the conversion is complete, close the Command Prompt and proceed with the Windows Vista installation.

Please note that converting the partition to MBR will erase all data on that partition, so ensure you have a backup.

2. Use a virtual machine:
Another option is to install Windows Vista as a virtual machine within your Windows 10 installation. This way, you can run Windows Vista alongside Windows 10 without affecting your existing partition setup. You can use virtualization software such as Oracle VM VirtualBox or VMware Workstation to create a virtual machine and install Windows Vista on it. This method ensures that your Windows 10 partition remains intact while allowing you to test Windows Vista.

Remember to check the system requirements of the virtualization software to ensure your hardware meets them.

I hope these options help you in installing Windows Vista on your system without having to wipe your Windows 10 partition. Good luck!

After successfully using the AOMEI program as I mentioned, I needed to use a Windows 10 disc to repair the boot record using these commands:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd
From Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows 10, 11, XP, Vista, 7, 8

Even though I had 22H2 installed, my old Anniversary disc worked fine. The reason I needed to fix the boot record was because I couldn't properly boot into CDs or USB drives for some reason.

After that was fixed I installed Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 from a disc with the ISO onto my secondary partition and used my old product key from my HP a6514f, which still had the sticker on the bottom corner.

I needed to use the disc drive to transfer over the ethernet driver. I still haven't looked for USB drivers yet but the USB ports do not work natively.

Windows update does not work out of the box. I used with Fixing Windows Update for Windows Vista 2022 Updated Method to install all the necessary files to get Update to work. Right now the updates are installing through the main Windows Update program, then I will look for USB drivers.

There is something called Vista Extended Kernel that allegedly allows newer programs to run but I may not look into it as I don't intend on seriously using Vista for much.

Last edited:
My answer will always be the same for anything unsupported. Run it as a VM. Much lower risk and easier to setup.

Back