New user query

Hi. I'm a retired computer/electronics engineer with 45 years of experience supporting Windows, Unix, Oracle, and networks of hand-held computers. I write straight C/C++, mostly using the WinAPI, but also MFC. I dabble with Visual Studio writing Windows programs, and I would like to share them with my peers. I also would like to be able to get ideas for new programs. Q&A is also on the table, as I am willing to share my experience as well. Is this the right group to meet those objectives? Thanks.

Hello and welcome!

With your background in computer/electronics engineering and extensive programming experience, you will certainly be a valuable member to this forum. The "Windows Software" section is indeed the right place to share and discuss all things related to Windows, Visual Studio, WinAPI, and MFC. You can share the programs you write, propose programming challenges to spark fresh ideas, and provide insightful feedback on others' work.

In addition to that, you can also share your knowledge by answering queries related to Windows programming. We have a diverse group of users from beginners to professionals, and they would benefit from the deep insights that you can share.

Apart from this section, there are also others such as "Unix Software," "Oracle," and "Networking" where you can extend your knowledge sharing and gain new perspectives from the experiences of other users. However, with your focus on C/C++ and Windows programs, this is definitely the appropriate place to start.

We look forward to learning from your experience and, if possible, seeing some of the programs you've created. We're sure that you'll also find many inspiring ideas for new programs from amongst the innovative projects our users are working on.

Welcome again, and happy sharing!

I have three programs that I wrote with Visual Studio 2022 Community. I would like to share them with the user communiity to get peer review,

First is a Mandelbrot Set program. It demonstrates multi-threading with a thread pool that achives 200-300 millisecond response time. It also demonstrates graphics with a bitmap image that bypasses the "expensive" setpixel() function. It generates color using the HSV or the RGB paradigm. It also supports saving and restoring the WindowPlacement in the registry. You will need Visual Studio to compile the program. The source code is located at GitHub - alexsokolek2/Mandelbrot. (04/08/2024 - Corrected the URL for the git package.)

Second is a Keyboard Mouse Monitor program. I wrote it to find out what Windows messages get sent for keyboard and mouse interactions. It also supports selection of the font and color of the text in the main window. This selection is also stored in the registry. Initially, the columns don't line up, but if you choose a font they will line up. I recommend Courier Bold 12pt. The source code is located at GitHub - alexsokolek2/KeyboardMouseMonitor. (04/08/2024 - Corrected the URL for the git package.)

Third is a MarkDuplicates program. Have you ever made the mistake of duplicating files in a directory with altered names, such as "test.txt" being copied as "test (copy 1).txt". I did, and I think it happened when I tried to get OneDrive to restore my files on a new computer. This program finds them and allows you to rename them as "test (copy 1).DELETE.txt" so that you can then go to explorer, search for them, select them, and delete them. MarkDuplicates works by generating the SHA-1 hash of each file in the directory, and collecting the hash, the date and time of last write, the size, and the name into a linked list. The list is initially sorted by hash and name, placing identical files next to each other. The second and subsequent file(s) is (are) highlighted. The user can scan through the list and, if desired, override the highlilght selection in case the sort put the wrong file first. The user can also sort by file name alone, or by date/time or size. The program supports saving and restoring of the list and the current scroll and selection for later continuation in case the review process takes a lot of time. Finally, the user invokes a "Mark" function to actually make changes. It also supports the registry. The source code is located at GitHub - alexsokolek2/MarkDuplicates.

In case anyone is concerned about the registry use, I write to HKCU/Software/Alex Sokolek/{Program Name}/{Version}.

These programs are copyrighted by me. Please feel free to modify and/or distribute them. Just make mention of my name.

I welcome constructive feedback and suggestions. I am also looking for suggestions for writing new programs. I prefer C/C++, WinAPI, but will consider MFC. You can find me on FaceBook as Alex Sokolek.

Also, just so you understand, I am publishing source code instead of binarys because 1.) I don't know how to create an installation package, delivering all the dependencies, 2.) Delivering source is safer than delivering binary (there are too many bad players are there), 3.)Delivering source gives the end-user the opportunity to study the code and learn from it.

Last, but not least, I am willing to share my 45 years of experience as a Computer/Electronics Engineer with the community. Please feel free to post questions. I will try to keep up with the forum. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for joining and sharing your contributions :)

Back