No sound through internal speakers, but headphones work fine

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by diotrephes, Feb 7, 2010.

1. diotrephes

diotrephes New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I have an Acer Aspire 3810 Timeline. Since the purchase, I have had no problems with the sound - however, Acer announced a recall on this and other machines to fix a malfunctioning microphone jack. I sent it to Acer, and received it back. Everything seemed fine, until I noticed that the sound in the internal speakers no longer worked. The sound works through the headphones as well as the microphone.

I could certainly send it back to Acer, but the problem is that it took over a month for them to pick it up, fix it, and return - and I do not want to wait such a ridiculous time again for such a small problem.

I therefore checked all the sound settings, uninstalled, reinstalled, updated drivers through Acer - and ever reinstalled the operating system putting Windows 7 on, just to see if that would work.

Now, I'm at my wits end - the speakers are still not working and the sound still works only through the headphones. I'm no techy, so I only have idea - my thought is that, if possible, the technician at Acer disconnected the internal speakers and forgot to connect them again??????

I've also used Everest to check my sound system - below you'll find the stats:

midi-out.0 0001 001B Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

mixer.0 0001 0068 Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

mixer.1 0001 0068 Realtek Digital Output (Realtek

mixer.2 0001 0068 Microphone (Realtek High Defini

wave-in.0 0001 0065 Microphone (Realtek High Defini

wave-out.0 0001 0064 Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

wave-out.1 0001 0064 Realtek Digital Output (Realtek
    The interesting thing is that when I press on any of these in Everest it takes me straight to the microphone screen in "Recording devices" sound window - never to speakers.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated......

2. cybercore

cybercore New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Try another speakers set, and if it doesn't work either then you should definitely use your warranty.
  3. diotrephes

diotrephes New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure if I completely get your meaning. How would I try another speaker set on the laptop? Are you suggesting that I open the laptop and switch the internal speakers?