Windows 10 USB device not recognized warning every 13-14 seconds when connecting DisplayPort monitor via USB-C dock

logan893

I have two simple USB-C docks, seemingly identical except for one having an HDMI output and the other having a DisplayPort output.

HDMI: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006034210961.html
DisplayPort: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006054736790.html

The HDMI dock works as expected, I use the USB-A port to connect to a USB switch, and I connect the HDMI output to a monitor via an HDMI-to-DVI cable.

I just received the USB-C dock with DisplayPort output and right away when I try to use it with the same laptop, same everything (the only difference being the DisplayPort output to native DisplayPort input) I continuously get a Windows warning popping up saying "USB device not recognized".

1704814147203.png

This pops up roughly every 13-14 seconds when I have something connected to the DisplayPort output, even if I do not display anything on the monitor. If I disconnect the DisplayPort cable, or soft power off the monitor (via its power button on the front), the warning stops.

Coinciding with the "USB device not recognized" warning is an entry in the DistributedCOM event log.
1704814581714.png

Code:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
 and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
 to the user DESKTOP-XXXXXX\yyyyyy SID (S-1-xxxxxxxxx) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.3636_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-xxxxxxxxxx). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

If I disable the "Notify me if there are issues connecting to USB devices" option from the Windows USB settings then I stop receiving the pop-up warnings, and the DistributedCOM log is also quiet. But I would prefer to not disable this option as it is very blunt and affects USB problem reporting in general.

I do also have a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter which, while it doesn't seem to work with this USB C dock (I get no picture when I connect it). The warning starts as soon as I connect the adapter, regardless of whether HDMI output is connected or not.

I don't have much info on these cheap USB-C docks unfortunately.

Does anyone have some idea of what this is caused by?
Is this benign, and can I prevent the warnings without turning them all off?

My laptop is running 64-bit Win 10 Pro:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2023-‎05-‎26
OS build 19045.3803
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

The continuous "USB device not recognized" warning popping up when using the USB-C dock with DisplayPort output can be frustrating. Based on the error message you provided from the DistributedCOM log, it appears to be a permission issue related to a COM Server application.

To troubleshoot this problem, you can try the following steps:

1. Update USB-C dock drivers: Visit the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers for the USB-C dock with DisplayPort output. Install these drivers on your laptop and see if it resolves the issue. It's important to use the drivers specifically designed for your operating system version.

2. Check DisplayPort adapter compatibility: The DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter you mentioned might not be compatible with your USB-C dock. It's possible that using this adapter is causing the warning. Try using a different DisplayPort adapter or a direct DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable to connect to your monitor and check if the warning persists.

3. Verify USB port functionality: Connect the USB-C dock to a different USB-C port on your laptop and see if the warning still appears. Sometimes, certain USB ports may have compatibility issues with specific devices. By changing the port, you can determine if the problem lies with the port itself.

4. Update Windows: Make sure your Windows operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Microsoft often releases bug fixes and driver updates that can resolve compatibility issues. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on "Check for updates" to ensure your system is updated.

5. Test the USB-C dock on another computer: If possible, connect the USB-C dock to a different computer with a DisplayPort input and check if the warning appears. This will help determine if the issue is specific to your laptop or if it's a problem with the USB-C dock itself.

6. Contact the manufacturer: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to contact the manufacturer's support for further assistance. They may have specific troubleshooting steps or firmware updates to address the problem.

Regarding disabling the "Notify me if there are issues connecting to USB devices" option, it's understandable that you prefer not to turn it off completely. Disabling this option can impact USB problem reporting in general, as you mentioned. It's best to keep it enabled in order to receive notifications for genuine USB issues.

By following the troubleshooting steps outlined above, you should be able to identify the cause of the "USB device not recognized" warning and find a solution to prevent the warnings without disabling the notification option entirely.

Aliexpress is notorious for selling trash electronics and many instances of fake electronics. I would return if you can any purchases from a reputable re-seller.

Aliexpress is notorious for selling trash electronics and many instances of fake electronics. I would return if you can any purchases from a reputable re-seller.
I mostly agree with you, though a lot of things they sell are just generic stuff without much in terms of documentation or bespoke drivers. That is, unfortunately, also more and more common with what you find locally. Especially Amazon has the same selection of no-name electronics, and much of the semi-popular brand things aren't much different than the generics.

In any case, I seem to have found a solution. I have activated the BIOS option "High Resolution mode when connected to a USB-C DP alt mode dock" for this laptop (HP Elitebook 840 G8) and for whatever reason the constant warning is now gone. This unfortunately also means that the USB port on the dock is running at USB 2.0 speeds only, but since I really only use it for wireless keyboard and mouse, and a DAC for my speakers, it is not especially important.

This option shouldn't really be necessary with only a single DisplayPort output to a 1080p monitor from the dock.

I temporarily borrowed yet another USB-C dock (my partner's company-provided dock) which has an HDMI port and also an RJ45 network port. It's branded "eSTUFF", which seems to be a Danish company providing generic accessories.

This "eSTUFF" dock was also initially giving me some of the warnings with the "High Resolution mode" enabled, but then settled down and did not produce warnings. I proceeded to disable the "High Resolution mode" BIOS option and the USB warning appeared with the same high frequency. Since it has a network port, it's more important to not be limited to USB 2.0 speeds. I really hope there is some way to solve this without resorting to this "High Resolution mode when connected to a USB-C DP alt mode dock" BIOS option.

I then read on some random website forum (MOKIN, seems to be a similar generic brand; The USB device is not recognized | Mokin ) that it could help to turn the USB-C cable around... And, it actually got rid of the warning with the "eSTUFF" dock. This dock seems to have a poor cable though, it's a bit glitchy and loses connectivity completely in some angles. And more importantly, I am not having the same luck with my DisplayPort dock. Whichever way I connect it it's giving me solid functionality, display and USB ports both continue to work, it just also provokes the USB warning.

It's odd but when I run the external screen as duplicate of the internal screen (and no other screens active), the driver disconnect (9007; driver enter RTD3) and driver connect (9008; driver exit RTD3) events from nhi continue but there are no continuous warning message from DistributedCOM.

While the exact nature of this USB related problem still eludes me, I may have found a suitable workaround.

Disabling the USB-C host port's selective suspend (device properties for the USB-C controller for the port -> Power Management -> Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power) stops the continuous connect/disconnect/warning events. The warning is not completely gone, but it will appear only once, and a new (stopped) "Unknown USB Device" becomes visible in Device Manager.

1704883825087.png

Back