Windows 7 W7 will not start up after installation.

Quantonium

So, I've been having Vista for quite some time, and decided to switch to windows 7. I got my copy, and upgraded from my vista installation. After the upgrade, when everything was completed with the installation, it wouldn't get to the desktop. I get this error each time I'm past the login screen: The procedure entry point dwmhintdxupdate could not be located in the dynamic library user32.dll

I have tried to search for a fix all around the internet, but I can't seem to find any. There is very few people who seem to have this problem at all.

Please, please help! I have a lot of files I can't loose there, and if I have to format now, I have a hella lot of work ahead of me.
In advance, thank you.

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

I am going to assume for now it is a Directx situation. If it is, I am not sure what to do about it.

What is your current situation? Are you back in Vista?

No, currently I'm on XP. I have 2 partitions, thank god. This one has XP, the other one has the faulty Windows 7. But right now, I'm just thinking of backuping everything to XP, and just do a clean install of W7 on the other partition.. A lot of work, but I don't seem to have any other choice..

The user32.dll is a leftover from XP.

You will never get It to start if it's using that old version.

Performing a "clean" install will correct it.

I have it on my system and never had XP.....

It may have something to do with the Vista Desktop Windows Manager and and DirectX, but I haven't found an answer yet.

Last edited:
The executable is related to the Aero interface, RegHakr is right, do a clean install. But instead of formatting, just install over, your files will all be put in a folder called windows.old where you will be able to copy and paste anything over that you want. When you're done run Disk cleanup as an administrator to delete that folder.
:D

Back
Top Bottom