Win 11 profile list problem

Digger

Honorable Member
I turned off my computer, a Dell OptiPlex 7060, as I do every day and when I came back to it the next day it started with what looked like it was reinstalling windows. When it finally opened it had a completely different opening screen and the desktop had my icons but not my screen. I googles the issue and several videos on how to fix the profile. The correct profile was there in the registry with the .bak on it. So I deleted the profile without the .bak and then removed the .bak from the correct profile and restarted the computer only for it to do the same thing again.

My work computer did the same thing but when I fixed the profile as stated about it restarted back to its original screens and was running as usual after. My home machine refuses to return to the original profile no matter how many times I do it. When I look at the path in the .bak profile it is correct and when I explore the home computer everything is still there as normal.

I just cannot get it to boot back to the original path.

Anyone know how to fix this. As I said the correct path is in the .bak profile but no matter how many times I try it will not return to that profile.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

It seems you're experiencing an issue with your user profile on your Dell OptiPlex 7060 after a Windows update or unexpected restart. It's good that you've tried some troubleshooting steps, but it appears that the issue persists.

Here are a few more steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Create a New User Account:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "netplwiz" and hit Enter to open the User Accounts window.
- Click on "Add..." and follow the prompts to create a new user account.
- Make sure to set it as an administrator account.
- Restart your computer and log in with the newly created account.

2. Copy Files to the New User Account:
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the C:\Users folder.
- Locate your old user profile folder and the new profile folder you just created.
- Copy all files, folders, and subfolders from your old profile to the new one, excluding the following files: Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log, Ntuser.ini.
- Once the files are copied, restart your computer and log in with the new user account.

3. Consider Restoring from a System Restore Point:
- If the issue persists after creating a new user account, you can try restoring your computer to a previous state using a system restore point.
- Press the Windows key + R, type "rstrui" and hit Enter to open the System Restore window.
- Select a restore point dated before the issue occurred and follow the prompts to restore your computer.
- Keep in mind that this will revert your system settings and installed programs to a previous state.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may need to contact Dell support or consider performing a clean Windows installation. Remember to back up your important files before trying any major changes to your system.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your quick response. I will give these suggestions a try.

Back
Top Bottom