Windows 11 Please help with video and audio desyncs!

FonBoron

So i have this weird problem of audio being faster than video on my laptop for a while now. I bought this laptop brand new, and just after couple of weeks its started.
When i turn on the computer its fine, but usually it takes like 10-15 minutes to start being noticeable. Desync goes gradually from like 0.01 seconds which isn't noticeable up to 1.5 or so seconds which is ridiculous and completely unwatchable. Once it reaches 1+ seconds of desync i can reload the web page, or close and open video player, and it goes away for couple of minutes, than again and again. There are little click sounds that goes with the desyncs, and they are getting louder and longer as desync increases. Weirdly enough there are times when the issue goes away, sometimes for a week or so of constant YouTube watching I never hear anything wrong, than it comes back.

So I've uploaded a video, you can see how bad the desync is, but clicks aren't really noticeable in that video unfortunately. But they are there. Pops about once in ten or so seconds.

So i had this issue mostly on YouTube, regardless of a browser and on video players as well (Windows Media, GOM, VLC etc.), except Media Get for some reason, i literally watched 5 seasons of Downton Abby and it haven't even appear once. It doesn't care about the output device as well. no matter the dynamics or headphones are airpods it's still there.

I tried to update drivers, basically all of them, I tried deleting them and re-installing, i tried updating windows and all the basic stuff that other forums and youtube videos recommend. It newer helped. I did not try re-installing windows since its such a pain in a butt to get back everything that you have all the passwords and stuff, you know... and i try to avoid it as much as possible. I'm not even sure that will help.

So i have MSI KATANA 17 B13VGK, comes with Windows 11 Home x64.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are currently experiencing with video and audio desynchronization on your MSI KATANA laptop. This problem can indeed be very frustrating, especially when trying to watch videos. I will try to provide several solutions that you can try.

1. **System Performance:** Ensure that your system isn't under heavy load when you're watching videos. Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and check your CPU and RAM usage. If you find some processes that are consuming too many resources, you may decide to end them if they're not necessary.

2. **Sound card drivers:** I know you already mentioned that you updated your drivers, but I wanted to emphasize the sound card drivers specifically. Go to the manufacturer's website and find the most up-to-date drivers for your model. And if Windows insists your drivers are up-to-date, try uninstalling and then reinstalling them to see if that helps.

3. **Web Browser Hardware Acceleration:** If you mostly experience this problem in your web browser, try disabling Hardware Acceleration. Different browsers have this option in different places but usually, it's in the settings menu under 'Advanced settings'. Keep in mind though, that this might make video playback more CPU intensive.

4. **Media player settings:** If you're using VLC, go to 'Tools > Preferences > Audio' and check the 'Enable time-stretching audio' box. In the 'Synchronization' module, adjust the 'Audio desynchronization compensation' setting to sync audio and video tracks.

5. **Windows Troubleshooter:** Use built-in audio troubleshooter in Windows. Go to 'Settings > System > Sound > Troubleshoot' and let Windows diagnose the problem.

6. **BIOS update:** Check if there's an update available for your BIOS. But be careful as improper BIOS updates can cause problems.

Since you've mentioned that the issue can appear and disappear randomly, this might be due to some background application interfering with your audio/video playback. Please ensure that no unnecessary applications are running in the background while you're watching your videos.

Lastly, whilst I understand your hesitation in reinstalling Windows, if all above methods fail to solve the issue, a Windows reinstallation might help. A clean installation might help resolve any hidden issues causing this behaviour. However, make sure you have a backup of your important data before proceeding with this.

Note: Make sure you're using a trusted source when downloading drivers or any other software, to protect your system from potential malware.

I hope this helps, and I'm here if you need further assistance.

Back