Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 8 Win 8.1 Core x64 and Xbox 360 Wired Controller

RyanBaskett

Hi does anyone know whether or not this Xbox 360 controller I have is compatible with Windows 8.1 core x64?
I am using a PowerA brand pro gaming series wired xbox 360 controller but It doesn't turn on when I plug it in and in Device Manager it shows the ? for unknown devices which suggests to me that I simply need to install the correct driver, but so far I haven't seen one available anywhere. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Is it one of these by chance.....

Link Removed

They don't appear to have any drivers on their site, just manuals. Hear's a Microsoft driver for the wired Xbox 360 controller. Try it and see if it works. Works on my 8.1 pc.

Attachments

• Xbox360_64Eng.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 1,631
Is it one of these by chance.....

Link Removed

Nah. It is the black 75 dollar pro series controller, the one that comes with a case and has different lighting options as well as a nylon cord instead of a plastic or rubber one.

They don't appear to have any drivers on their site, just manuals. Hear's a Microsoft driver for the wired Xbox 360 controller. Try it and see if it works. Works on my 8.1 pc.
Ok. I tried that one but I still get an unknown device in device manager. See the image for the image I mean.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 538
Here is the system I am running.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 669
And here is the controller I am using, or trying to use, Model No. 000097 by PowerAmp. I tried that driver listed above and it didn't work.

Attachments

• powera_fus1on_tournament_controller_360.jpg
    powera_fus1on_tournament_controller_360.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 739
Wondering if I were to use a generic wired Microsoft Xbox 360 issued controller if that might work but I talked to Microsoft Customer Service today and they told me that I needed to go back to the store where I got the controller from and get the installation disc that comes with the controller. I have been a gamer for a long long time and I have bought multiple dozens of Xbox 360 controllers of every size shape and brand and not once has one ever come with an installation disc. Microsoft CS was absolutely 0 help on this. They know less about their own products than I do.

Here is any other possible relevant info... See attached images:

Attachments

• Sysinfo1.png
    Sysinfo1.png
    281.8 KB · Views: 642
  • Sysinfo2.png
    Sysinfo2.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 632
Of course they're going to say that. That'll cost you more money. I bought my wired Xbox 360 controleer with no cd from Newegg. I went to Microsoft Hardware downloaded the driver. I've now used it in 7, 8 and 8.1. Try doing a search for your controller with downloads at the end and see what you come up with.

Here's the page for your controller. Link Removed They have no driver's. You need to try the one I provided or use the one I provided and get a regugalar Microsoft wired Xbox 360 controller.

Here's the page for your controller. Link Removed They have no driver's. You need to try the one I provided or use the one I provided and get a regugalar Microsoft wired Xbox 360 controller.

Turns out this is correct. I know that because I plugged in the only other wired Xbox 360 controller, which was by PowerAmp, this morning and turns out it works just fine. I am going to buy myself a generic wired 360 controller this week and just use that.

It is even stranger that a different model of the same brand will work find but then the model I tried to use won't.

if you buy a real x-box 360 controller made by microsoft it does come with a cd, im sitting here right now with the wired controller and the cd,i have been looking on the net on how to install this mircosoft x box 360 controller, so from what you just said RYANBASKETT,,,,you said you were told to run the cd in the cd/dvd player, i have a acer and like you i have 64 bit AMD quad-core,so once i get this controller working, i can play any game with this,,,,,im hoping thats what you or someone on the page here said,,it be so cool to play games again with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse,is there anything i should know about how it works once it gets setup,,,,if it gets setup,,,lol,,,i downloaded that driver above to,im not sure if i should run the cd or try the driver up above in a message, i came accross this in my hunt to find out how to setup a x box 360 controller,and just wanted you to know the microsoft 360 x box wired or wireless controller do come with a cd,,,,,i paid 39.99 for the wired one,,,the wireless one starts at around 60.00,,,,,so what works best for you is the one to get, the very first x box,well those controllers have no cd and there hard to get to work right on a pc from what i learned from the net looking for a way to hook my 360 controller to my pc,,,if i come accross anything solid i will leave another message here,,,,,,,,,thanks for the info,,,take care and gopd bless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You don't really need the cd. A: The driver's will be out of date, anyway. Just let Windows get the current driver's for you, as it's a actual Microsoft product.

Back