windows 11 think's it's in preinstallation after rebuilding the bcd store

andybn1

One day i tried to start my pc and got the blue screen with the code: 0xc00000e and following an tutorial i formated the 100mb boot partition and rebuild it with the command

bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us /s z: /f UEFI

My windows booted fine after that but thinks whare not right. The first thing i've notice was that my sleep and hibernate whare missing from the power dropdown in the start menu and when i tried to check the power options in control panel i saw this error: Your power plan information isn't available.

After this i've tried windows updates and realizes that the updates are failing every time.

Now i'm thinking there's something wrong with the recovery partition and i've run

reagentc /info

output: REAGENTC.EXE: A target Windows installation must be specified.

Wird Next i've tried enabling reagentc

reagentc /enable

output:

Enables the local copy of the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE).

This command can be used from the running operating system without additional
parameters, or from the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) using
the optional /osguid parameter.

How can i be in Windows Preinstallation Environment? confused i've runned bcdedit

output:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-us
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description Windows PreInstallation Environment
locale en-us
inherit {bootloadersettings}
isolatedcontext Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptOut
winpe Yes

as you can see it reports that my windows installation is in Preinstallation Environment which explains all the problems i'm having.

I've tried rebuilding the BCD store servil times without any change. One thing i need to mention is that when i run the command bootrec /fixboot i get the error: element not found.

I'm tiring to fix this for a mount now and i'm stuck. Any help whit be greatly appreciated

It seems like you are encountering several issues with your Windows installation after rebuilding the BCD store. Let's try to address each problem step-by-step:

1. Missing sleep and hibernate options:
This issue might be related to the power plan settings on your system. Try the following steps:
- Open the Control Panel and navigate to "Power Options."
- Click on "Change plan settings" for your currently selected power plan.
- Next, click on "Change advanced power settings."
- Expand the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options, and make sure they are enabled and set according to your preferences.
- Click "Apply" and then "OK" to save the changes.
Check if the sleep and hibernate options are now available in the power dropdown menu.

2. Windows Update failures:
Rebuilding the BCD store should not directly affect Windows Update. However, let's ensure all required services are running properly:
- Press "Win + R" to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "services.msc" and press Enter to open the Services window.
- Locate and verify the following services are running:
- Windows Update Service
- BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
- Cryptographic Services
- If any of these services are not running, right-click on the service, select "Properties," set the startup type to "Automatic," and click "Start" to enable it.
- Reboot your computer and then try running Windows Update again.

3. Recovery partition and Windows RE:
It appears that the command "reagentc /info" is not providing the expected output. To check the status of your recovery environment, you can use the following command instead:
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Enter the command: "reagentc /info /target c:\Windows"
- This will display the information about your recovery environment, specifically for your Windows installation on the C: drive.
- If the information is not available or shows an error, it might indicate an issue with the recovery environment on your system.

4. Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) showing as the current boot loader:
This is likely causing the confusion about why your Windows installation is in the Preinstallation Environment.
- Enter the command: "bcdedit /default {current}"
- This sets the default boot loader to {current}, which should point to your Windows installation.
- Restart your computer and check if Windows boots properly.

5. "Element not found" error when running "bootrec /fixboot":
This error can occur if the required boot files are missing or corrupted.
- Run the following commands one by one:
- "bootrec /fixmbr" (this repairs the Master Boot Record)
- "bootrec /fixboot" (this repairs the boot sector)
- "bootrec /rebuildbcd" (this scans for Windows installations and allows you to add them to the boot configuration)
- Restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

If these steps do not resolve your problems, it may be necessary to consider performing a repair installation or a clean installation of Windows 11. Before proceeding with any major changes, ensure that you have a backup of your important files to avoid data loss.

It seems like you are encountering several issues with your Windows installation after rebuilding the BCD store. Let's try to address each problem step-by-step:

1. Missing sleep and hibernate options:
This issue might be related to the power plan settings on your system. Try the following steps:
- Open the Control Panel and navigate to "Power Options."
- Click on "Change plan settings" for your currently selected power plan.
- Next, click on "Change advanced power settings."
- Expand the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options, and make sure they are enabled and set according to your preferences.
- Click "Apply" and then "OK" to save the changes.
Check if the sleep and hibernate options are now available in the power dropdown menu.

2. Windows Update failures:
Rebuilding the BCD store should not directly affect Windows Update. However, let's ensure all required services are running properly:
- Press "Win + R" to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "services.msc" and press Enter to open the Services window.
- Locate and verify the following services are running:
- Windows Update Service
- BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
- Cryptographic Services
- If any of these services are not running, right-click on the service, select "Properties," set the startup type to "Automatic," and click "Start" to enable it.
- Reboot your computer and then try running Windows Update again.

3. Recovery partition and Windows RE:
It appears that the command "reagentc /info" is not providing the expected output. To check the status of your recovery environment, you can use the following command instead:
- Enter the command: "reagentc /info /target c:\Windows"
- This will display the information about your recovery environment, specifically for your Windows installation on the C: drive.
- If the information is not available or shows an error, it might indicate an issue with the recovery environment on your system.

4. Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) showing as the current boot loader:
This is likely causing the confusion about why your Windows installation is in the Preinstallation Environment.
- Enter the command: "bcdedit /default {current}"
- This sets the default boot loader to {current}, which should point to your Windows installation.
- Restart your computer and check if Windows boots properly.

5. "Element not found" error when running "bootrec /fixboot":
This error can occur if the required boot files are missing or corrupted.
- Run the following commands one by one:
- "bootrec /fixmbr" (this repairs the Master Boot Record)
- "bootrec /fixboot" (this repairs the boot sector)
- "bootrec /rebuildbcd" (this scans for Windows installations and allows you to add them to the boot configuration)
- Restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

If these steps do not resolve your problems, it may be necessary to consider performing a repair installation or a clean installation of Windows 11. Before proceeding with any major changes, ensure that you have a backup of your important files to avoid data loss.
bcdedit /default {current}
The default entry is not valid as specified.
Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
The parameter is incorrect.

bcdedit /default {current}
The default entry is not valid as specified.
Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
The parameter is incorrect.
I apologize for the confusion. It appears that the command "bcdedit /default {current}" is not working as expected. Let's try an alternative approach:

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Enter the following command: "bcdedit /enum"
This will display the current boot configuration. Look for the entry that corresponds to your Windows installation.
3. Take note of the identifier for the Windows Boot Loader entry.
4. Enter the following command: "bcdedit /default {identifier}"
Replace "{identifier}" with the actual identifier of your Windows Boot Loader entry as noted in the previous step.
5. Restart your computer and check if Windows boots properly.

If the "bcdedit /default" command still gives an error or doesn't work, you can also try using the "bcdboot" command to set the default boot loader:

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Enter the following command: "bcdboot C:\Windows /s Z: /f UEFI"
Replace "C:\Windows" with the actual path to your Windows installation if it's different, and make sure to adjust the drive letter "Z:" accordingly.
3. Restart your computer and check if Windows boots properly.

If none of these steps resolve the issue or you continue to encounter problems, it may be necessary to consider performing a repair installation or a clean installation of Windows 11. Remember to back up your important files before making any major changes to avoid data loss.

what the robot doesn't understand is why you would toss your boot space in the bin over a hardware failed to load error... its like saying you cut your leg off when your bike got a flat tire

moving forward i would replace the harddrive and install a fresh Windows

If Windows 11 is incorrectly detecting that it's in a preinstallation state after rebuilding the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) store, there could be a few reasons for this issue. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Check Boot Configuration Data (BCD):
    • Open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Type the following command and press Enter:
      Copy code.
      bcdedit
    • Check the information displayed and ensure that the values are correct, especially the device and osdevice entries.
  2. Repair BCD:
    • Type the following commands and press Enter after each:
      bashCopy code
      bootrec /scanos
      bootrec /rebuildbcd
  3. Check for Windows Updates:
    • Make sure your Windows 11 installation is up-to-date by checking for and installing any available updates.
  4. Perform a System File Check (SFC) and Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM) scan:
    • Run the following commands:
      bashCopy code
      sfc /scannow.
      dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.
  5. Check Disk for Errors:
    • Run the following command:
      bashCopy code
      chkdsk /f
    • Restart your computer and let the check disk process complete.
  6. Perform a Repair Install:
    • If the issue persists, consider performing a repair install of Windows 11. This option allows you to reinstall Windows without losing your files and applications.

Back