Windows 7 14 GB memory loss

bourneyg

Running Windows 7 64bit on Samsung 4gb ram 500gb. On 17-7-15 I had 395gb free memory on the 18-7-15 I had 390 GB used. 5gb used although no downloads. I have not downloaded any large items and it now shows that I have 381gb free. Can you suggest as to why I have used 14gb on my C: drive without downloading any large items. (About 10 small ones). I have done numerous disk cleanup, have removed old restore points. moved numerous files to external hard drive and the memory still goes down

Did you reserve Windows 10?

Running Windows 7 64bit on Samsung 4gb ram 500gb. On 17-7-15 I had 395gb free memory on the 18-7-15 I had 390 GB used. 5gb used although no downloads. I have not downloaded any large items and it now shows that I have 381gb free. Can you suggest as to why I have used 14gb on my C: drive without downloading any large items. (About 10 small ones). I have done numerous disk cleanup, have removed old restore points. moved numerous files to external hard drive and the memory still goes down
You sure your not referring to your hard drive? The maximum RAM amount Windows 7 professional can run is 192GB so you must mean your Hard drive.
Have you checked the task manager to what is running in the background?
Try running a Malwarebytes scan in case it's a bug:
Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Thanks for your reply. I have run Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy and Micorsoft Security Essentials and no bug shows up on any. The memory I am losing is from my C: drive. I have checked task manager and there does not seem anything different from prior to the problem. According to the sidebar ram metre, I am using 40% of my 4gb ram.

I am using 40% of my 4gb ram.
To be honest that sounds about right. Windows (at least the later versions) will cache certain well used programs or apps in the memory so they are instantly available. This is normal operation and nothing to worry about.

I have had the computer for nearly three years. It been running at about 395gb for about 6 months until the evening of 17-7-15 and when I checked on 18-7-15 it was down 5gb to 390gb. It has slowly gone down to 381gb since then and if I do a disk cleanuip or clear my old restore points it will not come up any higher.

I'd check your add and remove programs and total up what apps you have installed etc. The HDD size will change periodically but if you suspect it's changing too much then it could be down to some application writing to the disk in the background (which is why i mentioned checking the Task manager to see what is running) Another reason for unexplained changes can be malware but to be honest the figures you've quoted don't sound too excessive and it could be just normal operation. Remember this is your hard drive we are discussing and not your memory which is a totally separate thing.

Also you should check out disk usage programs, WinDirStat comes to mind, gives a great visual look of what's using space on your disk.

Found my problem and it has righted itself. My cbs persist files were not compacting to cab files. I found the problem and looking for a fix and it righted itself and I now have 394 gb on my C: drive where prior to righting had 378 gb. Have picked up 16 gb. Thanks for the help.

Have you already ran the dism cleanup as well?

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

This will make Service Pack/Updates uninstallable but free up a ton of space.

Post your results, see the size of your WinSxS folder before and after :)

Back