Windows 7 2 Physical Hard Drives Windows XP -> 7 ?

Fecal Face

Hi. I am planning on upgrading from XP to Windows 7. Right now, I have 2 hard drives on my computer (C: and F:).
All of my files are on the C: hard drive (300GB) and F: (1TB) is empty.

When I install Windows 7, I'm planning on installing it to F: , and later copying files over from C: instead of using an external hard drive (which I don't have and don't plan on buying) and the stupid "easy transfer" thing.
Would I be able to do that? Will I still be able to access the files on my old hard drive from Windows 7 if they are on an XP partition? I don't see why not, but I've never really tried moving files from one OS to another, maybe someone else who has can let me know if this would work?

In simpler terms :D :
Drive C: - XP
Drive F: - W7
and I want to move things from C: to F: using Windows 7, or perhaps Ubuntu if using W7 doesn't work.

Also, would this work if upgrading from 32-bit XP --> 64-bit W7?

Quick answer.Yes.
Windows 7 instaation will automatically set up a dual boot. Bydefault, when you boot up, you will find that windows 7 calls itself "C" partition. This is a virtual situation for compatibility issues. Rebooting into XP, you will find that XP is still, in fact, on C.
You can copy and paste your private files , with ease across the two os'S
In the case of XP, your decision to not to use the easy transfer "thing" is wise - it will lead to many hiccups.
You do realise, probably, that you will have to reinstall your software.

OK thanks for clearing that up. Yes, I do realize I have to re-install my programs, that won't be a problem, I just wanted to know if I could transfer my saved games / pictures / any other files I had.

Thanks for the help! :D

Back
Top Bottom