2018 MBP i7-8550H, 6-core turbo-boosting constantly in Win10

Jonah99

Hi! I wonder if anyone can help me and let me know if there is any solution to my problem. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, and installed Windows 10 on an external drive in order to dual boot it. Bootcamp drivers are installed, and the updated graphics drivers for the Radeon card from bootcampdrivers.com. I have a problem: the processor, even whilst idle, is constantly trying to boost to 4.1ghz, i.e., it's going as if under heavy load all the time. But in MacOS, it boosts to 4ghz for a short time, then drops to 3-3.5ghz for a sustained time, only when under heavy, heavy load.

On WIndows, it is constantly spiking to 4.1ghz, even under no load. It then frequently dips down to <1ghz, which I assumed was thermal throttling, and may well be, however this dipping phenomenon continues even with turbo boost totally disabled and a constant running speed of 2.6ghz, although less frequently.

I have tried to solve this problem using ThrottleStop, but no settings which supposedly alter the behaviour of the Turbo Boost have any effect. The only thing that works is totally disabling the turbo boost, leaving a constant running speed of 2.6ghz, except, much less frequently, it continues to dip to 1ghz or even under 1ghz, although temperates are well within safe range! I cannot work out the cause of this behaviour. Is it a firmware issue, as it apparently was in MacOS? Is it something to do with the bootcamp drivers? Is it the way Windows 10 just handles the processor in a Mac? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My ideal outcome would be for my processor to behave normally: short burst to 4ghz, sustained boost at around 3 - 3.5ghz, and low ghz when idling. My workaround of disabling boost is okay, but I may wish to play games which require 3.2ghz in the near future (system reqs TBC, I'm talking about Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, I heard 3.2ghz bandied about) so being stuck at 2.6ghz all the time is not ideal.

Any advice, or if this is not the right forum, somewhere I should ask this, would be appreciated. Thank you!

HELLO NOW With the information available, I urge you to return to that version.

Have you ever erased a floppy disk?

Last edited:
HELLO NOW With the information available, I urge you to return to that version.

Have you ever erased a floppy disk?

The processor was exhibiting this behaviour before I installed the updated drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, if that is what you mean?

Back