"3D Movies with Kinect for Windows v2"

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
Today James Ashley provides a glimpse at what might be a very cool possible usage of the Kinect for Windows, making 3D movies, well more like flat holographic movies. Combine this with some of the recent holographic advances and you've really got something! While there's no download yet, but just the idea behind this is well worth highlighting it...

3D Movies with Kinect for Windows v2

To build 3D movies with Kinect, you first have to import all of your depth data into a point cloud. A point cloud is basically what it sounds like: a cloud of points in 3D space. Because the Kinect v2 has roughly 3 times the depth data provided by the Kinect v1, the cloud density is much richer using it.

The next step in building up a 3D movie is to color in the pixels of the point cloud. Kinect v1 used an SD camera for color images. For many people, this resolution was too low, so they came up with various ways to sync the data from an DSLR camera with the depth data. This required precision alignment to make sure the color images lined up with and then scaled to the depth pixels. This alignment also tended to be done in post-production rather than in real-time. One of the most impressive tools created for this purpose is called the RGBD Toolkit, which was used to make the movie Clouds by James George and Jonathan Minard. The images in this post, however, come from an application I wrote over Memorial Day weekend

Unlike its predecessor, Kinect for Windows v2 is equipped with an HD video camera. The Kinect for Windows v2 SDK also has facilities to map this color data to the depth positions in real-time, allowing me to record in 3D and view that recording at the same time. I can even rotate and scale the 3D video live.

I don’t really know what this would be used for – for now it’s just a toy I’m fiddling with--, but I think it would at least be an interesting way to tape my daughter’s next high school musical. On the farther end of the spectrum, it might be an amazing way to do a video chat or to take the corporate video presentation to the next level.

[Click through to see all the images, and the rest of the post]

Project Information URL: http://www.imaginativeuniversal.com/blog/post/2014/05/27/3D-Movies-with-Kinect-for-Windows-v2.aspx

Contact Information:

Follow @CH9
Follow @Coding4Fun
Follow @gduncan411

njs.gif

Continue reading...

Back