Windows 8 $500 Budget for Work and Entertainment

VroomVroom

I am looking for a product for $500 and under. I am looking for a tablet, detachable, or 2 in 1. Right now the Asus Transformer Book T100 on Amazon for $400 looks like the best deal. The original Surface Pro is on sale for $500 on the Microsoft Store, but is sold out and who knows if they will bring it back. I mostly use my laptop for Microsoft Office, Netflix and other video streaming, web browsing, and other productivity. I have attempted to use Windows RT, but it is too limited so please do not recommend RT tablets. Thanks!!

I own a T100 transformer - the 32GB model that was $329 in January. I added a 64GB MicroSD card but would recommend the model with the 64GB disk - gives you a bit more breathing room.

The little machine is really great. Fast boot (26 seconds according to Event 100), fast execution of programs, good screen, very good speakers and best of all - the battery lasts forever (appr. 12 hours in my case). I only wish they would have used a rougher exterior surface - you see every fingerprint on it.

I am also a happy owner of ASUS T100 Transformer. 32GB internal + 64GB external. Got it for $299 from last year's Cyber Monday Sale. It came with a keyboard docka and full version of Microsoft Office and runs Win 8.1 out of the box. Before the T100, I owned a Surface RT which I returned after a few days because of the limitations that you mentioned. The T100 UK version comes with a 500GB hard drive attached to the keyboard dock. I had some power switch problems and battery life issues with the T100 on the first month but when I researched about it, all I had to do was to update the BIOS which is all automatic if you use the Asus Live Update app.

For entertainment, you can hook up the T100 to your TV using micro-HDMI to HDMI cable for a bigger display output for movies. You can extend the display between the TV and you T100 so you can use the PC while watching movies on big screen.

Last edited:
I wonder how they do that - attaching a 500GB HDD to the keyboard. In any case, I would not want a HDD for my tablet. The thing gets too much bumped around. The 64GB MicroSD card and an extra 128GB USB3 stick are enough for me.. Those are nice sticks and they sometimes go on sale for $43,95.

2014-03-04_1200.png

I wonder how they do that - attaching a 500GB HDD to the keyboard. In any case, I would not want a HDD for my tablet. The thing gets too much bumped around. The 64GB MicroSD card and an extra 128GB USB3 stick are enough for me.. Those are nice sticks and they sometimes go on sale for $43,95.

View attachment 27005

No. The hard drive is on the keyboard dock. Not on the tablet itself. Which means, you CAN'T install programs on it. Otherwise it won't work if you use it as a tablet. The hard drive is just for storage (should be).

Edit: Ooops.. you know that already. I thought you said the hard drive is on the tablet. :)

The problem with USB 3.0, it only works if you have the tablet attached to the keyboard dock. But it's not a problem in my case, I have a wireless USB/SD card reader with it's own wifi that I can connect to. It can be kept inside a backpack while using it. It's like a portable personal cloud on the go.

Kingston MobiLite Wireless Reader
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-MobileLite-Wireless-Smartphones-MLW221/dp/B00CEB5QU2

It is dual purpose: wireless reader and a backup battery pack for charging (via USB) smartphones and tablets when needed.

This Kingston MobiLite looks like a great device. Thanks for pointing it out. I might get it if I can find the app for my W8Phone. Then I could use it for the W8P, the T100 and my Nexus 7.

Here is a video review of it which is pretty good. Maybe useful for others that watch this thread.

It is really a great device. I intentionally bought it for my wife's 16GB ipad2. Instead of upgrading to 32GB or 64GB (because she's running out of storage space with so many toddler videos on her iPad) I introduced this idea to her and she liked it and asked me to get one. So now, she can just switch between USB flashdrives or SD cards anytime she needs more space. This is just around $40 and she saved $500+ of upgrading to higher capacity new iPad with almost the same feature as the old iPad 2. Very easy to use too. Now, she has an iPad 2 with 144GB (16GB + 128GB) of storage space. :) USB flashdrives and SD cards can be accessed at the same time.

This Kingston MobiLite looks like a great device. Thanks for pointing it out. I might get it if I can find the app for my W8Phone. Then I could use it for the W8P, the T100 and my Nexus 7.

Here is a video review of it which is pretty good. Maybe useful for others that watch this thread.

It will work on Windows Phone without an app. Just use the web browser and it will come out like an FTP server.

I just checked. Unfortunately they don't support the W8Phone. Too bad. I prefer an app.

I just checked. Unfortunately they don't support the W8Phone. Too bad. I prefer an app.
For Windows platform, it will broadcast as network attached storage that you can easily connect to and open files directly. I'll try to post a screenshot later.

OK, thanks.

@whs, connect to the Kingston Wireless like you would on any wireless network and under Network you will see the icon "MobileLite". Just double click it and you will see the connected USB flashdrive or SD card. I tested this on my T100 but it should be the same for windows phone.

Screenshot (32).png

Screenshot (33).png

And you can just double click any file to open it.

IMAG3389.jpg

Very useful. Thanks very much. I guess I should get the device. Have to talk to my finance minister, LOL.

Very useful. Thanks very much. I guess I should get the device. Have to talk to my finance minister, LOL.
Good luck. Btw, the device can also act as a network bridge. Meaning you can connect to the wireless internet while you are connected to it.

I hope the OP would come back to update us what windows 8.1 device he chose.

Back