8.5GB Dual layer dvds only play halfway through .

NettleWarbler

Honorable Member
Evening all , When I burn a 8.5GB Dual layer dvd , it only gets about halfway then the picture sticks . I have had this happen before , quite a few years ago now . I think its something to do with not all the dvd being burned properly . I tried it today on Nero 2018 Platinum , its been years since I last tried . I thought maybe the problem had been sorted ,but its just the same .Last time I tried I watched the film till it stopped halfway , ( or near enough ) . This time I used the chapters to advance to almost halfway , then played the dvd a bit with the exact same result . The film stopping with the picture still on screen , i realise its not much to complain about , but if someone knows where i'm going wrong ( it's obvious i'm doing something wrong ) . Or knows any software you can get that burns dual layer dvds without the failures i would be very grateful , it would be nice to be able to watch a dual layer dvd that played to the end of the film . Thank you .

Things to try:

1. Playback disc on another computer or actual dvd player to see if it works anywhere
  2. Different brand of dual layer discs
  3. Updating the firmware of your burner
If you need help we will need more information such as what burner s in your computer, what other devices have you tried to play the disc back with, etc.

Try the disk in another computer. Try a known good disk in your DVD unit. I have seen a defective lase in drives cause this type of thing. In fact I had on my own computer, it would burn disks okay, but could stop reading at half way through the disk. I changed the DVD unit for a new one and now all is okay.

Back