A little more VSO and some Open Source JustDecompile

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
We've got two things for you today...

First, I wanted to highlight an outstanding post by Utkarsh Shigihalli. Last week I highlighted and Visual Studio extension by Utkarsh Shigihalli and Tarun Arora, Is Visual Studio Online Online? VSO Status Indicator Extension. Since then Utkarsh released this great eight page post, which goes into great depth on exactly how the extension was written, VSO Status Inspector – A walk through on creating a Visual Studio extension to track VSO Status, by Utkarsh Shigihalli. If you're thinking about writing a like extension, it's a must read.

Secondly, today I also wanted to highlight a new open source entry in the .NET Decompiler world. I've highlighted ILSpy in the past a couple times, ILSpy, I spy with my little eye... ILSpy, ILSpy, the Visual Studio Extension, but haven't those from other companies, such as Telerik's JustDecompile and dotPeek from JetBrains (even though both are free).

Now that Telerik has released their JustDecompile engine as open source (including accepting PR's), JustDecompile Engine Becomes Open Source...

Releasing something as open source is just the first step. What also helps is providing a good story and guide.

Up steps Michael Crump, with this new post;

A Look at the Open Source JustDecompile Engine

Maybe you have heard the great news that the JustDecompile engine is now open-source and available on Github. The project is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license and you are free to contribute! If your commit is accepted, then your change could land in the official product. The only part that is not open source is the UI,...

A Guided Tour to Get Started

Download the .zip file from the Github repo and open the JustDecompileEngine.sln file in Visual Studio. Once you have done that, examine the project structure and set ConsoleRunner as your start-up project as shown below.

A Quick Change

Say that you wanted to make a quick change to the text that appears on the Command Prompt. Navigate to Tools->JustDecompileCmd->CommandLineManager.cs file and you’ll see that this text is coming from a method called, “PrintHelpText“. I’ve included a snippet below of the first two lines of the Command Prompt as shown earlier:

Let’s take a look at the Decompiler

Copy over an assembly or application. If you don’t have one readily available, then create a simple Console Application and add a few WriteLine and a ReadLine method. Compile the application and place it somewhere that is easy to access. I’m going to place mine in the C:\Temp folder and give it the name Test.exe.

Navigate to the App.cs file found in the ConsoleRunner project. Let’s pass several arguments that a user would typically use and see what happens

If you step through this code, then you can actually see the Visual Studio project creation. The final screen that is shown shows the results:

Tip of the Iceberg

We stand behind our commitment to make JustDecompile free – forever. With this change, we want to allow anyone to understand code decompilation and contribute to the project, if they wish. If you’re looking for more info, then I’d encourage you to check out the FAQs or leave feedback on the product. With your help, we can make JustDecompile even better!

[Click through for the entire post]
telerik/JustDecompileEngine

This is the engine of the popular .NET decompiler JustDecompile. C# is the only programming language used.

Copyright (c) 2011 - 2015 Telerik AD

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at...

Getting Started

• Clone the repository and open JustDecompileEngine.sln in Microsoft (r) Visual Studio (r).
  • Set your startup project to ConsoleRunner.
  • Enjoy

See this getting started post for more info.

Working with JustDecompile Engine

JustDecompile UI remains private at this time. JustDecompile, however, has rich console functionality and that has been opensourced here. One can use the console project generation feature to see the results of the changes made to the engine. The ConsoleRunner project is a console app that exposes that functionality and makes testing easy. When started it prints out all the available commands and switches.

How to Contribute to JustDecompile Engine

We encourage and support an active, healthy community that accepts contributions from the public. We'd like you to be a part of that community.

Before submitting a pull request, please, read and sign the Contributors License Agreement

And don't forget about the JustDecompile open source extensions too...

telerik/justdecompile-plugins

About

This repository contains the source code of the open source plugins for the Telerik Justdecompile product.

How to Contribute

Justdecompile Plugins are free and open-source. We encourage and support an active, healthy community that accepts contributions from the public. We'd like you to be a part of that community.

Before submitting a pull request, please, read and sign the Contributors License Agreement

Follow @CH9
Follow @coding4fun
Follow @gduncan411

njs.gif

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom